(9) Lies, Secrets, and Juice

Do you ever look out a window and think, Now would be a good time to be anyone but me?
________________________

    I never enjoyed car rides. Not sure why, but I never saw the appeal in just driving. Some say it's a good way to clear your head and do nothing, but to me, it just seemed boring and pointless. That sounded harsh—
I just meant to ask why would I sit and do absolutely nothing when I could easily be doing anything. It doesn't even have to be inventing. I would be happier to do anything at all than sit and do just nothing.

    That's kinda how I felt about the Support Course. To me, it was the equivalent of sitting and doing nothing while I could be in the Hero Course while doing something important. Support has always been a hobby of mine. I grew up inventing and tinkering as a way of passing time, not so much as a career choice. That's why it didn't make me feel like I was doing anything at all. 

    At that moment, I knew I just had to do something before I lost my mind.

   But instead, I was sitting. In a car. And doing absolutely. Nothing.
Trust me it wasn't fun.

    After a long while of awkward silence, Q finally decided to speak up from the driver's side of the car. "So tell me, Ms. Rosemary, why is being a Pro Hero such a big deal to your family?" He had the guts to ask.

    "Don't." I was swift to dismiss him. I wasn't planning on telling him anything, and now was definitely not the time for him to ask.

    He seemed phased, though not upset with my blunt dodge of his question. "Do you want some juice? You seem a bit fussy," he asked, looking at me from the corner of his eye but facing the road in front of us.

   I responded by burying my face in my palm, leaving my elbow propped up on the door. "Oh, you have some nerve, " I muttered quietly.

     "Somebody's cranky—"

    "Somebody needs to shut the hell up," I snapped back. I know what you're thinking: I can be a bitch. But how would you feel in this situation?

    "I don't understand what I did wrong," Q added. Life wasn't too good to me that day, and, yes, I was a bit crabby. I understand now that I shouldn't have been so cold to him. But at that moment I was more—

    "Everything!"

    "Oh, you are such a teenager," he scoffed. "Why can't you just let me help you?"

    "I keep telling you I don't want or need your help." I kept insisting on that and denying his hand-outs. "Speaking of, are you even allowed to? Does UA not have a problem with a student living with their teacher?"

   "Ah, balderdash. Do you have any idea how many OC Inserts the 1-A teacher has adopted?"

    "What?"

    "What?" He repeated with a laugh.

    I sighed to myself. "Let's just...play the quiet game."

     "Oh, like you're the first person to try that with me...You know what your problem is?"

    "No, but I have a feeling you're gonna tell me anyway," I groaned, rubbing my forehead.

    "You're stubborn. A stubborn little rascal. You know, most people would be happy to accept help when they need it."

    "Well, most people aren't like me." He had a point though. I should be grateful for his help, but I just couldn't find it in myself to show any gratitude.

    "Yes, thank God." He said, which I had to admit hurt a little. I didn't respond, and after another moment of silence, he sighed. "I'm sorry.." I shrugged in response and looked back out the window. It was the same as before, paved sidewalks, a couple of grassy fields, and a few small stores lining the streets.