(4) The Results: How to be a Faliure 101

Rose POV:

     The sound of an air horn over the speakers echoed through the city striking both relief and worry into every kid there.

    "Alright little rockers, that concludes the villain assessment portion of the test!" The booming announcer cheerfully stated while the children all stepped back from the bots and caught their breath.

    It's over... it's actually over.

    I couldn't believe it. I had just finished the first step to being a student at UA. It was a strange feeling: one with both excitement and uncertainty. If my count was correct, I racked up somewhere between 40 and 45 points, and to me, that wasn't bad at all.

    But now, it was time to rest. My head was spinning from jumping all over the place, and my arm was killing me. Wielding a 50-pound sniper-scythe wasn't all that easy, but damn was it worth it! I left the school grounds feeling awesome, and I couldn't wait to hear back from UA.

    Time to go home. Well, not home..but my house. Well, it's not a house..but my temporary living unit. Yeah, that sounds right.

    So, my folks kicked me out a little while ago for reasons I'm not quite ready to get into, but things could be a lot worse. Of course, I didn't have much money for an apartment or anything fancy, but I did manage to pass on rent in a storage unit a few blocks from the school. I earned money making and selling weapons and gadgets. It's a decent life when you look at it, but I had to remember what this was all for.

     Once I get into the best school in the country and graduate as a pro Hero, they'll see that I can still do good. After that, I can go home, and everything can go back to normal...

    Those were the thoughts that kept me going. The hope and belief that this was all leading me back home were what fueled my passion for wanting into UA. I wasn't doing this to help people, or money, or fame, or power, or any of that. I was doing this to go home.

_______________________

    A couple of days later, I was sitting at my desk making a weapon of mass destruction, as you do, when I received a letter. This was odd because I never got mail. That only meant one of two things: either someone was dead or someone was gonna be. And I wasn't really in the mood to deal with either one.

    I was ready to ignore the mail, but the writing on the red seal quickly grabbed my interest.

     It's from UA!

    I ripped open the envelope and looked at the little metal disk that fell out. It didn't look explosive. . . then again most bombs don't. I cautiously poked it with a pen when it lit up.

    "I am here, as a hologram!" The familiar, boastful voice announced as a projection of the number one Hero flashed before me.

   Of course, they had to go with the over-the-top hologram. This is UA we're talking about.

    All Might went on talking about how he was going to be teaching at the school for the year. To me, and I'm sure hundreds of others, that sounded pretty cool. I wasn't a particularly huge fan of pros like him, limelight heros that thrived in the spotlight. Although, the idea of being taught by someone with such experience as him wasn't anything to pass up.

    Finally, All Might made it to the part I had been waiting for. "Tallulah Rosemary, you successfully earned 44 points on the villain portion of the test! Also, the judges have put together a secret, second portion of the test. Rescue points were awarded to students who performed heroic tasks during the assessment."