(19) Such Sweet Sorrow

Over the course of several weeks, Q worked me to the bone. Each day he stormed and battered me with a new, unnecessarily powerful gadget until I was fast enough to defend myself. It wasn't until the second week where I finally got in a good hit at him. He smiled and held his bloody nose while cackling like a mad man before attacking again.

The third week he even tried to disassemble my arm but it would be a cold day in hell before I let that happen.

"Hey don't even think about it!" I dodged his attack and grabbed him by the wrist to yank the screwdriver out of his boney hands before he did actual damage. "It isn't exactly easy building an arm with one hand!" I shot him a harsh glare telling him I didn't mind a punch to the face, but the automail was off limits.

Q nodded and backed away with his hands up. I gave the screwdriver back for him to holster back in his tool belt. "Well I think thats good work for today. Why don't you get yourself some water." He cocked his head to the seats outside where we usually took breaks at.

"Thanks for training me," I croaked out and grabbed a bottle of water.

"Of course its no trouble, my dear chuckaboo!" Q smiled the usual cheery and bright one while spewing his happy nonsense. For a tall dude he moves pretty fast. Its no wonder he's a teacher and alumni at the best hero academy. He probably could still be a pro if he wanted to. He seemed to enjoy fighting me a little too much, but that just made me more determined to beat him.

"So Rosemary, we've done good work on your close range combat and defense against explosives," meaning I survived after he tried to blow me up, "but I am still pretty curious about your quirk. You mentioned it was useless now, but I'm sure there's a way we can use it as an advantage for you." He took a seat next to me.

"What do you want to know? I already explained I cant use it anymore."

He crossed his leg and put a finger on his chin, thoughtfully. "Well for starters...what's the purpose of your bio-electronic appendages?"

"My what?" He means your arm and leg "oh, well, they're not related to my quirk if thats what you're wondering. Just being in the wrong place at the wrong time."

Q shook his head. "Tragic. Your quirk does not function properly without a partner to assist you either, does it?"

"You mean a meister, and, yeah, we're kinda dependent on them."

Q nodded "So is there one you already have? Or is it just anyone you find that can help."

"Well its kind of a partner for life deal. I met mine when we were little kids, and we stayed together throughout middle school, although we didn't officially become weapon and meister until right before we applied to UA. I had her and she had me, and for a while..everything was good, you know?" He gave me a soft smile and let me continue on.

"We would hang out every chance I got, hell- I would have married her then if I could." I had laughed a little and looked down. "She dreamed of someday being the number one hero, and she really could have! She was so strong and fast, not to mention a heart of gold. I don't wanna brag but the two of us definitely could have passed the exams. I was happy to protect her and didn't really mind to someday die for her. Of course she had way too much pride and wanted to protect me too, tradition be damned."

Hearing that, Q's smile faded to a curios one. "Is she...still around?" he asked cautiously, unsure of my answer but I could tell he was hoping for a positive one. I wish I could give him one. I smiled faintly despite the depressing topic and shook my head no.

◻ ◻ ◻

"Tullita where have you been, you're late, and you have homework?" Her mother called from the kitchen, using the childhood nickname.