(6) Smash Mouth All Punch

Rose POV:

    I screwed up. And now, I was sitting in Q's classroom alone during the fifth period. Neither of us wanted to speak first so the last few minutes were lost in complete, uncomfortable silence. Q's tapping of his pen against his coffee mug drove me crazy while a million thoughts flooded my mind.

    Tick, tick, tick...

    This is why I don't socialize. Either someone moves away, or I punch them in the mouth.

    Tick, tick, tick...

    My head was pounding, and I could barely think straight. I was lost in my mind with nothing but my own, loud thoughts and that damn ticking.

    Tick, tick, tick...

    If my day gets any worse, I'm asking Hell if they have an exchange program.

    Tick, tick, tick...

    Okay, maybe it was immature to lash out like that, but can you blame me? I mean when you're raised Latino and your dad used to whack you with a sandal or a wooden spoon, it's understandable that violence is in my nature.

    Tick, tick, tick...tick, tick, tick....tick, tick-

    "Alright already! I'll talk just please stop doing that!" I blurted out.

    Q smiled and set his pen down. "Yes, I figured that would work. It's s like they always say, insanity is the best medicine." He sat up straight and shifted to a more serious demeanor. "So what happened?"

    I sighed and tried to rethink the events leading up to this. "I just don't think I belong in this class."

    "And that gives you the right to hit kids?" He asked.

    "Well, behaved chicks rarely make history," I snarked before my pity party resumed.

    "Rosemary, I understand. This kid was giving you a hard time, so you lashed out. It happens to the best of us, but that doesn't mean it's okay."

    "Look, do I regret it? Yes. But would I do it again..? Who's to say." I shrugged at the last part, trying to lighten the mood a little. Although, Q stayed surprisingly serious. I slunk into my seat. "Tough crowd.."

    Q persisted, "I understand that it's not exactly flashy here in the shadows, but we do our job and we do it well. Now, if you think you're too good to be in my class, then—"

    "I never said I was too good for this," I told him.

    "Well, you sure act like it. I don't get it, Rosemary. You have an exceptional talent, and you seem to love designing...but you still hate it here. What is it? Am I just a bad teacher?"

    I moved farther back into my seat and looked down. I felt awful. "Nano, no. It's not your fault. You're a great teacher." I tried to speak up but my voice was shameful and mousey.

    "Then what is it? Because I don't get why you're so sour about being in my class." He sounded genuinely hurt that someone who loves inventing hated being in his Support class.

  "I just— I have to be a hero." I didn't want to tell him why. The last thing I needed right now was for this guy to feel sorry for me.

    We sat there in silence for what felt like forever until Q decided to speak up. "Rosemary, I am a hero." He made sure his sentence was clear and plenty loud. It echoed in my head until it finally sunk in. And just in case it didn't, Q made sure to elaborate.

    "We might not fight villains, or wear capes, but we are heros. We help people and do good. No matter what anyone tells you, the people here are important. I just want you to understand that." I looked back up to him and thought about it.

    These guys do so much good, and I'm just here pouting about how I didn't get into the flashiest class.
So many kids fought tooth and nail to even get into the school. I have a chance to do something incredible, and I'm just throwing it away.

    I was acting selfishly. There was no sugar coating this. There was no "redeeming quality". There was no magic way that this wasn't my fault. I was being a selfish brat, plain and simple.

    "I'm sorry." I couldn't stress that enough. I felt awful about making Q feel like a bad teacher. He obviously cared so much about this job, and I made him doubt it. Truth is, maybe I didn't deserve to be a student here. "You're a really good teacher, and I should be grateful to be in your class." I looked at him for a reply, but he stayed silent. He wanted me to say everything I needed to and would wait for as long as it took.

    "There's just so much pressure to be a big shot hero."

    Don't cry. Don't cry. Don't you freakin' cry right now—

    I fought back every instinct I had to just let it out and cry. Oh no, yours truly was much too prideful to shed a few years in front of the only adult that had been treating her with kindness lately. No, no, no. I sucked it up and tried to choke out a sentence instead. "I-I want...to do good. I really do."

    Whether Q noticed me cracking in front of him was a mystery as his expression stayed the same. "You can. Just let me help you master your talent to the best of your capabilities. Go beyond, and be the best you can, that's all I want from you." I didn't know why, but he seemed genuinely motivated to help me. Whether I liked it or not, Q was going to push me to my limit and force me to do the best I possibly could. The least I could do was accept it, right?

    "Alright. I'm gonna try my hardest." I sat up and tried to sound as confident as I could. Real or not.

    Q's demeanor changed back to his usual cheery one. "That's wonderful to hear! I look forward to seeing what you accomplish, Ms. Rosemary." He stood up and ushered me out the door.

    I know I have said this before, but I felt good about being in 1-H. I was at UA and I was going to be a hero.

    One way or another.

Aw isn't that nice? So Rose isn't going to let anything stand in her way from meeting her goals

Aw isn't that nice? So Rose isn't going to let anything stand in her way from meeting her goals. Will she find the path to being a hero easily, or will she have second thoughts?

Stay tuned to find out

For the question, what class is your favorite?

Character Spotlight: Professor Q
Original character
Quirk: Blueprint

Fun fact: he has many pets named after elements on the periodic table

Until next time lads, lasses, and loves ~