Chapter 4: His last battle

As expected and just like my mother told me, they didn't allow me inside. They didn't allow me to even get a glimpse of my dad. Not even through the glass. I keep on begging them and right now, I'm outside the Central office to beg again. But the others keep on stopping me.

"Lis.."

"I have to see him! I have to check if he's okay! They can't do this! I am a family!"

"They wanted to protect you, Lisa." Hani unnie said.

"Just listen to them, Lis." Jeongyeon said.

"Protect me?! I don't need protection from my own father, unnie!"

I faced the door and banged it again with my fists while the others tried to stop me.

"You're mad right now. Calm down first."

I scoffed and looked at Jennie. Of all the people, she should've known better.

"You're lucky because your parents were sent here to work inside the facility. You can always see them if you want to. But my mother works there! Risking her life outside to protect other people's lives! My father! Not like yours, was rushed here because he was busy patrolling to guard down that area before the attack! Do you even hear yourself?! Of all the people, Jen, you should know better!"

"Stop yelling. Calm down." Kai mutters.

"Mind your own business!"

"They are right, Lisa! They wanted to protect you because your father is sick!"

I looked at her in disbelief. How could she even say that..

"Wow." I scoffed and shook my head.

They all got stiffen when someone opened the door and Moonbyul unnie came out. I was about to go inside when she gripped my arm.

"Stop." she mutters.

"But— Stop. One more disobedience and all of us will be punished."

I looked at her and bent my head. I covered my eyes and my tears fall non-stop.

"Go back to your respective bunks. Lisa, let's talk."

She's still holding my arm as we walk towards her office. That's better because if she lets go, my knees might give up. She lets me sit on the couch and she proceeds to her table.

"I understand why you're acting like this."

"Y-You don't." I cry.

"Believe me, I do."

I lifted my head and looked at her. I wiped my tears and she's just staring at me.

"It's hard for me too."

"U-Unnie.."

She just nodded.

"One of your father's colleagues is my dad. And he's inside the department too. But Lis, we have protocols to follow. Even Minyoung, from Platoon 10, her father is there too. So believe me when I say I understand your situation."

I clenched my eyes and continued crying.

"So, instead of getting mad and doing insubordination, let's wait for updates, Lis. I asked the general to give us updates about their situation and they agreed. But we can't get inside the department, Lis."

"I j-just wanted to see him."

"I know. But we can't. I'm sorry."

"How can you even do that.." I shook my head as I stand up.