xiii. drink, smoke, and clean

it was around 4 am when jj's phone started to ring. sloane sat up quickly the loud noise scaring her. as it continued to ring and jj was still knocked out she shoved him waking him up.

"what the fuck?" he said looking her. suddenly noticing the loud ringing. he picked up the phone

~~~

"hello?" he said his voice coarse and husky.

"jj. they found the boat." kie said clearly crying.

"what?" jj asked.

"the police. the phantom. they found the boat." she said trying to cough out words.

"the boat?" he said his voice breaking.

"the boat. nothing was in it. not the gold. not a body. why would it show up now? what does it mean? are they dead?" she said hyperventilating.

"kie slow the fuck down. breathe." he reassured her. "where are you?"

"the coast where the tents used to be." she replied

"okay we're coming." he said hanging up.

~~~

jj looked at sloane holding back tears. she pulled him into her. he pulled away quickly grabbing his clothes that were thrown all over the room. sloane did the same, she could see him breaking. she just wanted to hold him and tell him he was gonna be okay but he didn't need that now.
jj drove quickly heading to the coast where both kie and pope sat.
jj ran towards them pulling them into a hug. sloane followed closely behind although she stood to the side. she felt out of place. yes she was jj's girlfriend but they had shared trauma and that was something sloane would never understand.
she walked towards them kie quickly pulled her into the hug that they had continued to hold each other in.
as they pulled away kie leaned against jj while he wrapped an arm around her shoulder. sloane couldn't help but feel jealousy creeping onto her skin. she sat there in silence as they talked about all the possibilities of what finding the boat meant.

"they could be alive" kie said looking out into the water.

"they are alive." jj quickly responded.

"jj." sloane whispered.

"what sloane? you don't get it okay. you weren't there. when deputy shoupe walked up to us and told us that our friends were probably dead. you didn't sit in that tent begging for someone to help you." he said his voice breaking.

"j-" sloane spoke but was cut off.

"YOU WERENT FUCKING THERE."he screamed. "i don't even know why you're here." he said staring her dead in the eyes.

"jj dude chill out." pope said resting a hand on sloanes shoulder.

sloane stood up running to her car. she knew he was in pain but just last night he was not only telling her he loved her but showing it. he scared her and she didn't wanna be around that.

"sloane" he yelled after her. "fuck" he said punching the tree in front of him as she drove off.

as sloane arrived to her house, she immediately started to sob and did the only things that would take her mind of him.

drink. smoke. and clean.

she grabbed a blunt that was on the couch and grabbed the vodka sitting on the kitchen counter. vodka at 7 am? i think yes.
she started to pick up things around her. the couch was a mess from their many hookups. she picked up a sweatshirt, it was his. she brought it to her nose. it was exactly him. his smell. he always smelled of weed, saltwater, and a hint of pine. she cried harder remembering that smell.