Chapter 17

Hugo is pacing quickly behind me as I run out of the bedroom, "Mae wait please, let me explain" I turn around and stop which evidently shocks him as his face looks surprised. "Hugo, who is she" I say softly as singular tears fall from my eyes. "She is someone I met when I lived with Jay in LA last year, we used to be a thing, well not really an official thing I guess we just used each other for sex" Hugo admits. I can tell he is nervous as the way he is looking at me is almost saddening as his bright glow has been replaced with a paler and more exhausted look. "Did you sleep with her, are you cheating on me?" I reply not acknowledging what he had said before.                                                                     "No, Mae, no I would never do that I love you, please." Hugo says.                                                       "Hugo she is half naked in our bedroom and you are in your boxers, she said you hadn't done anything yet, were you planning on doing something" I say with my voice raised. Before I allow him to respond I scream "I was getting you breakfast, I called you and you ignored me because you were with her! The girl who left a note in your pocket, the girl you said was your costume designer it all makes sense" I am fully crying now staining my cheeks with floods of tears. Hugo desperately looks at me, his hands reaching out for me as I leave him stood in his boxers with the back of me facing him. "Mae, listen I lied because we have history and I thought you wouldn't believe me" Hugo explains. I almost laugh at his answer "Of course I don't believe you now, after everything we have been through, Tommy is going to kill you" I turn to face him and say. Interrupting us, Paige walks out of the bedroom, now with clothes on, "Mae, is it? Hugo is telling the truth; we didn't do anything and we haven't since you guys have been dating" Paige states. I turn to Hugo and look at him with a confused look. "You told her about us, before we came out to the world, I thought we were only telling close family and friends, Hugo we were keeping us a secret for your sake, for you, and you told her" I question to Hugo. "Look, I should go" Paige says whilst putting her coat on, she walks out of the room and gently closes the door behind her. I watch Hugo as she leaves and not once does he look at her. His eyes are fixed on me, searching my face for emotions.

Our flight to LA is now in 2 hours and we are 30 minutes away from the airport. Hugo and I are sat in the back of the car which is taking us to the airport. I haven't managed to speak to him since Paige left, he continued to deny everything but I ignored and avoided him whilst packing my things and getting ready, as I am still so confused and hurt. Hugo has stopped trying to talk to me for about 40 minutes and has given me the space I need out of frustration. The boat trip was supposed to be fun and relaxing before we both head back to our busy lives back in London, however I am experiencing the same feelings as yesterday, before the Met. An amazing event and a fun day shadowed with sadness from the robbery and now finding my boyfriend with a half-naked girl in our bedroom a day after announcing our relationship. 

The four and a half hour flight to LA is just as silent and awkward as the car journey. Hugo and I held hands through the airport to destroy any rumours of our relationship being on the rocks after one day, and smiled all the way through boarding as the paparazzi stole photos of us. Hugo rings Jay when we arrive at LAX and claimed our baggage to let him know we are on our way to his house to get changed and ready for the dinner on the boat. Jay is a wrapper and pretty big and well known so his house matches his success. His girlfriend, Naya, is also well known in LA for her modelling and her and I have worked together on a few shoots before I got into acting, therefore I was excited to see her and seek for advice from her about the whole situation. We arrive to jay and Naya's a little after 3pm and we plan to leave for the dinner on the boat at 3:30pm. Naya and I head to the spare bedroom to get change, I go for a plain black bikini, its classy yet sexy with the cups being triangular. Naya is wearing a similar style, yet hers is bright green which compliments her darker skin tone perfectly. I fill Naya in whilst braiding my hair without getting angry or sad just hopeful that we can work it out. She agrees that it doesn't look good and insists that I bite the bullet and here what Hugo has to say before over reacting. "Girl, you look hot, like really hot" Naya says. I giggly shyly and jokily push her insisting that she looks better. We both finish the look with a large jumper that covers our bum paired with chunky white trainers. We walk into the kitchen to find the guys at the breakfast bar arm wrestling. "You guys just don't quit do you, always competing" Naya laughs with a roll of her eyes and a hair flick. After an argument between Hugo and Jay on who's stronger we make our way to Jays car to leave for the peer. Jay is driving and Hugo is sat next to him in the front, with me and Naya in the back seat, the drive is about 15 minutes and the sun is still out and shining hard. My head is still confused and my heart still hurts. Hugo is my soul mate and I love him so hugely that even if he has been unfaithful to me, I would take him back, this thought worries me and makes me feel vulnerable to hurt. I catch glimpses of Hugo looking at me through the wing mirror of the car, I catch his eye line and smile hopelessly.

The boat is more of a yacht and is definitely too big for just the four of us, I look around and notice a kitchen staff team and a chef, so Jay style. Jay has always loved the luxury lifestyle and this beautiful yacht is a prime example of this and his hard work. We all get on the boat and admire the view whilst the kitchen staff introduce themselves and inform us of the menu for dinner. Pan fried sea bass with lemon garlic sauce sat on a bed of roast potatoes and green beans. My mouth waters at the sound of the delicious food that these lovely people will be making. Once we have been told the safety rules and learnt what to do if anything happened me and Naya make our way to the top of the boat to catch the sun before it sets. Hugo and Jay follow behind and sit on the edges of the boat to continue their debate on who's stronger and catch each other up on the latest news. I look over at Hugo to ensure that he is watching me when I take the oversized jumper off and over my head. Once I have removed it, I notice Hugo staring at me in the most indiscrete way, I smile at him and drop my head to look at my feet in how pathetic I am to try and win his attention whilst I am supposed to be mad.

After a few hours of sunbathing I tell Naya that I am going to the bathroom, Jay passes me on my way, leaving Hugo to be alone. I untie the ends of my braids and let my natural salt watery waves hang freely and I try and find Hugo. I walk along the side of the deck peering my head into the small rooms in the centre of the yacht looking for him. Eventually I find him at the back of the boat near the propellers sat so perfectly with his perfect body on full show wearing just his black shorts. I place a hand on his back which startles him. "Hey" I say quietly whilst joining him by sitting with my legs crossed next to him. "Hey, you okay?" He says simply with his hand placed on my knee creating small circles with the tip of his thumb. "I am Sorry that I didn't hear you out earlier or believe you, I just was scared that in that moment our relationship was ruined, I will listen to you now if you want to explain" I say to Hugo's smiley face. Hugo then explains in detail that him and Paige were on and off for about a year when he lived with Jay here in LA. He explains that he borrowed money from her after he blew all of his on gambling, partying and drinking. As she had money to spare as her dad is a music producer, he also added that she didn't care about the money and that they used to sleep together and in a horrid way Hugo would sleep with her primarily for the money.  Hugo then needed to pay her back and as she was in New York for the Met Gala as she is now a makeup artist that it would be the best time to pay her. He also clarifies that when she came to the hotel Hugo was just waking up and only had his boxers on. Paige then thought that something would happen and Hugo wanted to sleep with her, this is then when I came in and saw this. Hugo finishes by showing me texts proving his statement and how she was flirty and Hugo made sure every time to mention me and how this is just about paying her back.

I notice Hugo is out of breath after explaining to me what happened, "why didn't you tell me about the money?" I sympathetically say whilst reaching for his hand to reassure him that its okay. He looks and me and smiles in relief. "I was just ashamed of it; I mean I have told you about my gambling and partying but it's embarrassing having to borrow money of a girl I used to sleep with" Hugo says with an apologetic look on his face. I release my legs from a crossed position to be on my knees, I warp my arms around his neck and sit on his lap. His hands wrap around my back and his head falls to my shoulders. We then look at each other and I smile, he removes his hands from my back and places them on my face. He kisses me, the kiss is rough and passionate yet loving at the same time. He unties the bow of the straps of my bikini top exposing my chest against his. I press myself into him covering myself with his body. His kisses travel down my neck and trace along my chest. My hands dive into his hair pulling and twirling it around my fingers. "Hugo, not here, people may see us" I moan as he kisses further down my body.