Chapter 35

Hugo's point of view

"She's what!" I shout to the paramedic who is calling me from Mae's phone, whilst on my way back from the airport. The paramedic informs me that Mae has been in a car accident and is badly hurt, he says that she is being taken to the nearest hospital. He also tells me that her mother, Tommy and Lilly are on their way to the hospital. "Is she okay?" is all I can say as my heart races over a safe level. "Sir she is in a bad way at the moment" the paramedic responds. I can't help but be angry at what he says. "Yes, yes I know, will she be okay, tell her I am coming" I say quickly and hang up. Malcom looks at me through the wing mirror, "Malcom, turn around we need to go to the hospital, it's Mae she's been in a car accident" I say to Malcom who has now turned a paler colour. "Is she okay, there is traffic we could be awhile" Malcom says calmly. "I don't care, make it quick!" I snap to the man who is more like my second father. "Sorry man, I'm just scared" I say trying to redeem myself, Malcom nods and all is forgiven. My mind is racing, how could this have happened, Mae is an amazing driver, thoughts run in and out of my head creating scenarios of what is going to happen when I see her in the hospital. I bet she is scared and frightened, or even alone. I reach for my phone and find Tommy's name in my contacts. "Tommy, are you with her is she okay?" I ask quickly when he answers as the tears fill my eyes. Tommy explains that they are about 10 minutes away, knowing this eases my pain knowing that she won't be alone for much longer. I try and gain more information but Tommy knows just as much as I do. The phone call ends and my mind starts racing again. I go the search icon on my phone and type in Mae's name to see if the press has found out or if there are any photos, giving me more of an idea of what has happened. However, there is nothing, which is a good thing as the media knowing she is in hospital could create more traffic and attention on her when all she needs is medical attention.

Malcom tells me that we are almost there, my palms begin to sweat as we approach the hospital. "Malcom, can you come with me?" I ask pathetically as I need him beside me if I anything was too happen and for support. "Of course, I wasn't going to let you go in by yourself anyway" Malcom says with as much as a smile that he can create at this moment. He arrives outside of the hospital and much to my surprise the press and paparazzi are crowded outside of the hospital. I sink back into my seat and wish that they weren't here, how did they find out? I question to myself. Malcom leaves the car first and I follow, we push through the paparazzi and practically run into the hospital. "Where is she, erm Mae Pample where is she?" I ask the receptionist out of breath from running into the hospital. "Oh my god you're Hugo Main, please can I get a picture, oh my god I can't believe it, Hugo Main is Infront of me!" The woman says. "Please, I'm so sorry but where is Mae Pample" I ask with tears in my eyes. She notices the moisture collecting in my eyes and quickly moves her mouse across the desk and types to the monitor. "Room 5B, down there, to the left then up the stairs" She says pointing. I thank her many times and sign her planner in return. I run down the hall dodging people all the way as I run down the corridor, taking the first left I see with Malcom closely behind me. "This way Hugo" Malcom says pointing to the door which says 5B on the outside. I bust open the door to find an empty bed. My eyes frantically look around the room and my breaths get deeper. "Hugo, honey" Mae's mother, Lindsey says. I notice Lindsey at the back of the room along with Tommy and Lilly. Lindsey walks closer to me and places her hands on my shoulders. She wipes a tear that had escaped my eye and had rolled down my face. "Where is she?" I sobbed as Lindsey reached out and hugged me, practically holding me in her arms. "She is in emergency surgery, the doctors told me she will be a few hours" Lindsey explained whilst still holding me in her arms. I quickly remove myself "A few hours! Have you seen her is she okay?" I shout, quickly apologising for my tone, but Lindsey takes no offence. "She was unresponsive when we first arrived" Lindsey tells me, this makes my ears bleed and I crouch to the floor covering my ears like a coward to afraid to hear the rest. This time Tommy gets up off of the seat and moves closer to me and crouches to the floor. "She woke up and was better but in pain, she asked for you, we told her you will be here when she gets out" Tommy explains whilst putting a hand out to me to bring me back to a standing position. "Well that's good then, right, she can talk and she was awake?" I almost ask Tommy looking for reassurance. "Yes definitely, she will be okay" Lilly says as she sniffles. I see her eyes are bloodshot, evident that she had been crying. I move closer to her and hug her gently; Lindsey then hugs behind me as does Tommy to Lilly. As we stand in the room in a group hug, a knock is placed on the door. Malcom moves out of the way of the door and our hug is broken, it's a doctor. "Miss Pample's surgery has now began but I thought I should tell you there are a lot of people outside of the hospital along with cameras" The doctor explains to all of us. "Can't you ask them to leave" Lindsey says innocently with a scrunched-up tissue in her hand. I notice in the other is a small gold necklace, the necklace that is usually in Mae's bag, her fathers' lucky necklace. "I'll call mine and Mae's security to guard the room and the entrance, this will keep her safe and your staff" I say to the doctor. He is very grateful for my gesture and leaves the room, telling us he will be back when Mae has had her surgery.