Chapter 21

After a few minutes of rubbing Hugo's back, his sobs become louder and more like cries. I attempt to pull his hands away from his face by gently prying on his wrists. Still no words have been spoken from either of us. Eventually Hugo's face is revealed and the wounds form his and Jays fight earlier are still evident. His cheeks are stained with his tears, this version of Hugo is broken and almost frightening. My hands immediately move to his face, I cup his face and force him to look at me. I frantically search his face for the happy, cheeky and full of life Hugo that I love. My vision begins to cloud as my eyes fill with tears as I whiteness this man unravel and travel back in time to his dark past, right Infront of me.

Finally, the deafening silence is broken. "Mae, I need help, not a shoulder to cry on" Hugo sobs. My heart breaks all over again. With my hands still attached to his face I force his head to return to face me after he dropped it, my hands move to his hair, which is now messy, yet extremely sexy. My fingers run through his chestnut brown hair, almost as a mother would when comforting her sad child. "Hugo, I am always going to be your shoulder to cry on, either now, tomorrow, the next day, or even years from now. So do not run away from me, because I will follow" I pant as I continue to search for Hugo in his once bright, blue eyes. Now with tears visible as they run from my eyes. Hugo pulls out of my hands and bluntly shakes his head whilst his eyes are matched at the floor. "We can't do this, I saw a side of me that I had put away or even killed, I brought it back too easily, I was violent and look what happened you got hurt, Jay won't talk to me and I'm stuck on this damn boat facing it all!" Hugo exclaims. He is now standing and thrashing his fist in the air. He then moves to the edge of the boat; this is only then I realise the empty vodka bottle laying on the floor beside him. His balance is now unsteady as he Is standing, he leans over the edge of the boat. I am quick to my feet "Hugo! Forget that you were violent anyone would smack Jay if he said what he did, and I told you it was my own fault I got in the way, just please get away from the edge!" I scream but with a tone of care and fright within my voice. Every time I move a step closer to him, he leans his large torso slightly more over the boat. The grin on his face are unlike anything I have seen before, they are chilling and threatening. I put my hands up in innocence showing him I won't move any closer. My heart is beating so loud I can hear and feel it throughout my entire body. My breath quickens, I look around the boat hoping to see Naya, Jay or any of the staff that can help me, but no one is around.

I left my phone at the table when we were having dinner and I can't leave him here hanging off the boat, he's heavily intoxicated and who knows what he is capable of. "Hugo, please, baby, just get away from the edge. Lets just go find the others and see how long until we will be back at the port, then we can sort it all out, either together or I'll leave" I try to plead with him. He stops, and for a second, I think my reasoning has worked. He brings his torso back onto the boat, but suddenly he attempts to get his leg over the side of the boat. I react out of instinct and scream "Hugo! No" My voice echoes through the entire boat. I run to his side as he brings the other leg over the side of the boat. I hear footsteps running from behind me and up the deck. "What's going on are you okay?" Jay suddenly says with Naya closely behind. "Mae, I can't do this I've tried to be better; I've tried loving you, but what about me?" Hugo sobs, I grab his t shirt so tightly with my head buried in his back, whilst he sits on side of the moving boat in the middle of the sea at night. He isn't making sense and I am not sure how to understand what he is saying, so instead I remain gripped to his t shirt. "Shit, dude, get down from there, that's not safe man" Jay says. I can tell Jay is worried when I finally look up, I hadn't even realised that they were near us, I forgot I heard their footsteps. Hugo's whole body turns around to look for his friend who is reassuring him, yet as he does his intoxicated body slips further, he recovers and the grip I have on his t shirt is now tighter. "Like you care, I mean would you care if I just ended it all now. Jumped in, drowned and never came back. Would that be a good story to tell at the dinner table, Huh asshole." Hugo says with spit and tears coming from his face. His words stab at my chest and the thought of Hugo doing such thing make me feel sick, without him my happiness would be gone. Feelings of me losing my father start to make their way back in my head. Jays face changes and he quickly pales. I see Naya, stood behind him, push his arm instructing him to say something or come over to him. Jay slowly walks over to Hugo and I, his eyes are still locked on Hugo, in a place of worry, yet Hugo's eyes on him come from a much deeper angrier place.

I remove my grip as Jay starts to walk towards us, I look up to see Hugo's face, he falls from the stare with Jay and his eyes also meet mine. "Hugo, I need you, Tommy needs you, my mother, your family, jay, we all love you and need you, please" I say with every bit of passion and strength I have left in me. The anger held by his expression begins to fade as his eyes are on mine. "I can't lose you as well. It would kill me" I whisper as he begins to unravel Infront of me.