The Devils in the Fruits

Devils' fruits.

When someone eats such a thing they achieve power- some fantastic, some not- unlike that which they can fathom, correct?

Wrong, but of course you would think such an absurd thing. You are a human being after all.

No, humans cannot obtain powers from Devils' Fruits.

Ah, so you've notice how I've been saying Devils' Fruits, have you?

No?

Well perhaps some of the smarter of your species has.

But it is indeed true. The correct way of saying it is Devils'.

Why, do you ask? Well the fruits themselves aren't devils, now are they? But then again I must remind myself that I am speaking with humans. There is obviously going to be some miscommunication.

Let me explain it to you this way:

The moment a human or some other sort of creature bites into a Devil's Fruit, they automatically make a contract with the devil trapped inside.

Oh yes, the fruits are only our containers. They were not created for consumption, thus the awful taste.

The human of course- unless they are someone with extraordinary prowess and knowledge (ie: Dr. Vegapunk, Gol D. Roger, or Don Quixote Doflamingo)- does not know that they have entered a contract with a devil. We cannot be seen by anyone but other devils, you see.

It is our punishment from eons ago: we must protect those who eat our fruits. Why we devils are being punished, I cannot say, but over the millenia we have found a loophole to our torture.

Water.

Oh, did you not know that all Devil's Fruit eaters could indeed swim? In fact, unless they never learned how, they never lost that ability in the first place.

No, for some reason, though, our bonds with our human masters break in the water and we are permitted to attempt their deaths at our leisure.

The moment our Devil's Fruit contractor hits the water, we will latch on to them and swim as far down into the depths as we can, almost always successfully drowning them (unless they have a non-eater with them of course).

So you have to imagine that the development of sea prism stone was like gold to us!

With our ties cut on land, we cannot exactly drown our human masters, but we do sap all the strength and energy from their bodies until they do perish. (When they die, us Devils get a wonderful, yet brief one-year respite in the Abyss; the place from whence we come.)

Ah, 'but what about all the amazing things the Devil's Fruit eaters can do?', you might be asking.

Illusions.

Tricks.

Lies.

Whatever you like to call it, the point is that it is us who do the work. Our masters themselves don't even know it.

We weave the illusions of powers for the humans while we do all the work.

So, if you see a boy with arms that stretch as he punches, that would be us creating the sight and feel of the punch for that human while we are the ones actually fighting.

They don't notice us, but we are always floating just on or above their shoulders. (Unless you're that one poor fellow who's possessing a reindeer's body and making it think it's somewhat human.)

So, basically this is a journal I felt the need to compile of just a handfull of us Devils.

I'll introduce myself, then start out on chapter one.

Hello there. My name is Gomu and an idiot ate my fruit.