Twelve¶What's my 😱 fear?

Two hours later and Freddy is no way to be found. This one na good revelation! I sat smiling ear to ear as I wrote my note. We had just finished our Government class and we were waiting for our diction teacher.

"Where is Freddy?" a familiar soothing British accent asked. I looked at Kate's heart shaped face and smiled.

"He didn't come to school today"

"And you are happy?" she shot me a quizzical look.

Oh! I forgot that he is my boyfriend! "Oh! No oo!" I waved my hands in the air while trying to hide my betraying smile.

"But your smile says otherwise" Kate pointed out bluntly. She stroke the long cornrows that fell to her face. The hairstyle for this week is all back and base! While my cornrows were hardly reaching my nose, hers had even pass her nose and were touching her jaw. Her hair are too silky and shiny for my liking.

So I decided to change the topic. "Is your hair relaxed?"

"Yes!" she replied.

"Wow! Your hair is long eh!"

"Awwn! Thanks! It is all as a result of the good hair cream I bought in UK" she disclosed.

"Lucky you!"

"Yeah!" her voice came out weak.

"What's wrong? "

"Well, I really admire your relationship with Freddy" she shrugged.

What? Does she know that she is admiring something that is fake?

"Why?"

"I had a boyfriend in UK" she bit her lips and shrugged again. Her long cornrows fell to her face again. This time it hid her sad eyes.

"Then what happened?"

"We broke up since I would be completing my education in Nigeria" she whispered. It was hard to hear but I got the message.

"Ah, that's sad!" I whined. "You miss him, right?"

Okay! Why such a question? Do I want her to cry?.

"Don't answer my question. It was dumb. Sorry" I blurted out quickly.

"Heartbreak hurts!" she concluded and stood up.

"Where are you going?"

"To meet Ken" a wry smile played on her face and she left.

She just reminded me of my biggest fear. Okay! Wait! That's after my fear of zombies, vampires, powerful aliens and mutants!

Ehen! That fear is HEARTBREAK! Geez, I hate that word. That's why I never dated any guy up till now. Okay! Yeah! I never had a boyfriend because no one asked me out. But even if they did, I won't accept them.

I mean, how can you deal with a heartbreak? Isn't it so painful? How can the guy you love with all your heart tell you he loves someone else? Who knows your best friend? Reading a lot of stories of heartbreak has inflicted fear in my bone marrow. I just don't want my heart crushed. Abeg!

That's why I accepted Freddy's offer to create my own story. There is no feeling attached in our relationship. This is a safe ground for me. I won't be broken when we break up. And I am so sure I won't fall for Freddy. He is not the kind of guy I can like. I am so sure of that. His look doesn't affect me in any way. I don't even think he is fine. So I will just date him, create a memorable Highschool love story for myself and break up with him. Easy peasy!