Chapter 1: Gulf

I sat on the couch of my condo as I took a deep breath and closed my eyes. This day is so tiring! I went around Bangkok only to be rejected by a lot of companies. I tried my luck but I guess this is not my lucky day. I thought graduating with flying colors would mean prosperity for my life but I guess some things are never meant for you and plans that you set are not all going to go well.

I massaged my temples as I went to the fridge and decided to grab myself a drink. I have been very thirsty for the whole day and it's depressing that I don't have the means yet to earn money. My mom and Dad stopped giving me money when I finished college. I guess they thought their responsibility to me as their child is done.

I drank a glass of water as I sat on the balcony of my place. This is a big one compared to the other units that they have here. This is the place that my Dad got me when I entered college. From then on, I learned how to live alone. I was also reminded that I am an illegitimate son and both my parents have their own family to attend to - and that's fine; at least I don't have to pretend that I am okay with how they play their roles as parents.

I never really got along with my brothers on both sides. My Mom and Dad had an affair years ago and I am the living proof of their sin. I am the proof of their mistake that night. They still acknowledged my presence but I didn't have a choice where would I stay for that week or specific month.

Since a child, I have always questioned why the treatment of my parents were different to me compared to my siblings. I grew up questioning every single detail that I see and I found the answers myself when I started growing up and maturing.

I never needed anybody during my journey to adulthood. I didn't have a nice childhood either but my auntie, mom's sister, guided me to at least have the manners that my siblings in different sides have. I studied in the same school as them but I was never introduced as their brother.

I heaved a sigh as I played with the necklace that my mom gave me on my 20th birthday. It is the first gift I have ever received and I was so happy that I got one from her despite the fact that she just dropped it in my condo and left immediately.

But I keep on telling myself that it's fine. Mom has a different family and so is Dad. They have different businesses and gatherings that I am not needed nor make an appearance because I am not like them. I am the unwanted son. I am the mistake that everybody is trying to forget.

My phone suddenly rang and that pulled me out of my deep thoughts. I took it out of my pocket and saw that Jennie is calling. I picked it up and said hello.

"So how did your interview go?" she asked and I heaved a sigh as I remembered everything that has happened today.

"I thought I got the job and the woman who interviewed me asked when can I start but apparently, one of the higher ups there is my ex and he watched me the whole time I was doing my interview."

"Ex?" she asked and it took a while before she screamed like she's shocked and excited at the same time. "You mean Mew? The hot guy that you fcked for the whole academic year in first year college?"

"Jennie..."

"Oh my gosh you met him again!? Oh my God!"

"Jennie there's nothing to be excited about. I lost a job because of him."

"Oh." she grew silent for a few moments before speaking again. "So you don't want to work in that company because he's there? Gulf that is one of the biggest architectural firm that we have here in Thailand!"

"I know Jennie but if you saw how angry he was when he saw me... you would even drag me out of there." I played with the glass of water I am holding and heaved a sigh. "Besides, you know what happened that night. You know how I turned the tables against him so I can save my ass."