Chapter 41: Fear

"We are short in revenue for the past two months. What is happening?" I asked as I stared at the past financial reports of the firm.

"Sir as you can see the firm is a bit shaky for the past months because our architects have been experiencing shortage in man power. Ma'am Frida, who is also a major stock holder and the vice chairman of the board, kept on accepting projects even though we have a lot of pending works to do. The whole firm is suffering but we are doing our best." Eugene answered— one of the managers that Miss Grace is closed to.

I met Miss Grace a week after my talk with uncle Alwyn. We discussed a lot of things including the execution of the plan as to how we will take over the whole firm without the questioning of the board. I am well aware that not all board members are in favor of me but I'm still hoping for the best.

After we carefully laid our plans out, uncle Alwyn together with Mew went with me to meet the other board members that are acquaintances of Aunt Hilda. We met some of them discreetly and it is indeed a surprise to them to see how young the next chairman would be. There are doubts, given that their money is at stake here and it depends on how good my management skills are but after we showed and told them the plan for next week, they immediately gave their word that they are willing to participate and take down the petition.

For the past three weeks I have been studying everything that involves the firm. I studied from the procurement procedures, designing and construction of the plan and finally submitting it to the contractors who will handle the construction. There are still a lot of procedures but those are the main departments that I should always look into.

I stared at the financial report once again and shook my head in disbelief. This shouldn't continue or we will lose everything and it will be easy for my mom to dissolve the company within this year.

I took the past reports and compared it to the recent one. It is really drastically decreasing and this is very alarming. I don't know yet what to do but I guess I have to order them to stop accepting more projects for now.

"Need my help?" said a baritone voice beside me and I didn't have to look to know who it is.

"Mew look at this," I started and pointed at the reports. "The revenue of the firm is not that good. Compared to the past years that it performed really well, now it is going down the hill!"

I heard him took a deep breath before getting the other files. Mew looked at it one by one before finally encircling the whole paper with a pen.

"This is where it's going wrong— planning. There is no concrete plan as to how and when the firm should accept and finish a project. Setting a deadline is not all to it to complete a certain project. Once you accept a project, either it's a house or a twenty storey building, the management should consider how many architects should work on the design, including the interior designers that they will be working with. I'm sure the firm has a partner with regards to the construction and there are engineers there— that is where it's taking too long. Once the planning is not that smooth, everything will just go down the drain."

I can't help but be amazed at how he analyzed everything like he just read a book for kindergarten. Mew is really something as an engineer and as a businessman.

"So what do you think I should do?" I asked and looked at the papers again.

"You need to reformat everything from the very beginning. Everything and everyone will suffer if you don't have a concrete plan for every project. I also saw how flawed your procurement department is based on these reports. You've been reading all of these for days and I saw everything that should be changed." he smiled and sat beside me. "Eugene, right?" Mew said and the man in front of us nodded. "Can you tell us how many days are given to a certain team to finish a design for... let's say a two storey mansion."