Chapter 32: It's Enough That I Carry It Alone

I avoided his gaze as I fed the kids the whole time. I can feel his eyes on me but I chose to ignore it. I don't have the time to play games with him and more importantly, I chose to neglect my job for today because I was lazy and wanted to go here instead.

Damn! I am so dead after this clean up drive and shit! Pray for my soul, goddess of gays!

"Mister biscuit!" I heard Milo said while I was helping to throw the paper plates they used.

"Yes Milo?" I smiled at him but it immediately faded as I saw Mew looking at me with such... amusement in his eyes?

Wow. This is the first time I saw amusement in his eyes after a month of seeing him in that building. What has gotten into him?

"Mister biscuit, the kids are asked to find a partner among the volunteers for the cleaning and painting the walls later. You want to join me?" he enthusiastically said and I don't have the heart to deny him so I immediately nodded. "Yay! Great! Now I have mister biscuit and mister gummy with me!" he giggled and I instantly want to regret my decision.

"Did I do a great job mister gummy?" Milo asked Mew and my forehead creased at how Mew laughed at him before nodding.

"Shush... that's our secret." Mew whispered but it was enough for me to hear.

"What secret Milo?" I asked the kid.

He giggled. "Mister gummy told me that I should ask you to join our- hmmp!"

"Mew!" I hissed when he covered Milo's mouth. What the hell!

"Milo... let's check the paints in the truck. Come." Mew disregarded my words before pulling Milo away from me.

"Wait!" Milo said as he reached for my hand. "Come with me Mister biscuit. Come on! It's going to be fun!" the kid said as he pulled me with Mew so we can go outside. I felt Mew's eyes on me again but I refused to look at him. Whatever he's thinking right now is something that I don't want to have knowledge of.

"Wow! There's so many paint cans!" Milo giddily said as he looked at every cans of paints in front of him. "Mister gummy you really bought all of these?" Milo excitedly asked and the guy beside me nodded. "Wow... this must be expensive!" Milo was ecstatic as his eyes shine with so much fascination towards the paints and brushes on the side.

"Not really. I just bought that for the kids and you." Mew gently said and pinched Milo's cheeks. I never thought he can be this gentle towards others.

"But mister these must be expensive. How did you buy all of these? Are you rich?" Milo asked with an innocent face and I can't help but to smile at the kid.

I can see myself at him. I can see my old curious self where I asked around people to seek for answers but I never got one. I got some of it but it's all because of Auntie Hilda. The questions that I asked my parents were never answered nor entertained at the very least.

"I'm not rich Milo, I'm just... hard working." Mew humbly answered and I raised an eyebrow at him. Way to go. At least you're not like your mother who goes around calling people a gold digger.

"How about you mister biscuit, are you rich?" Milo asked me and I bitterly smiled before shaking my head.

I squatted down to face him properly before smiling at him. "I'm not rich Milo. I'm just like you before..."

"Huh? You also don't have parents?" he asked, innocence was evident in his voice.

"I have but... they don't like me." I bitterly said and smiled at him. "I'm also like you... I don't have anyone to depend on but I studied hard and worked harder and now, I can afford the things I want. I can also share and bring food here for you and your friends!" I tried to sound cheerful and I succeeded but the hollowness inside me is still there.