Chapter 28: You're Just A Glitch In This World

TRIGGER WARNING. READ AT YOUR OWN RISK

I remained silent the entire time we are walking towards an empty hallway where I can only see a huge double door made of hardwood ahead of us. I didn't have to talk casually towards Mew because I know he is just doing this for our friends.

It's my fault why they haven't had the chance to be with me for the past years. I refused every invitation they sent me for any gatherings and I even hid from them when they came over to my place. I didn't open the door for them when they wanted me to and my conscience is eating me right now for doing so.

I'm just afraid that Mew and I will cross paths again that time and that is not good for my recovering heart. I know it's my choice to push him away when he said he's willing to wait for me but I was left with no choice. I was only a kid back then with limited rights and consent wasn't one of them. I was only a kid with limited power and that power can only protect myself and not him so I have to choose my life first before him— and I think it worked well because look at him now; he has accomplished his goal in such a short period of time.

Mew opened the double doors wide open and just like the old times, I saw the three people that I haven't seen for a long time, sitting at the table, waiting for my return.

"Gulf!" Sinee excitedly said as she got up from her seat and ran towards me. She pulled me in for a hug and my heart felt a sharp pain because I realized how I pulled myself away from them and they are still ready to accept me.

I saw Bright and Zee walking towards me with all smiles like nothing happened— like I didn't avoid them for years.

"Where have you been? My gosh, we were like searching for you everywhere!" Sinee frantically said and I smiled timidly. "Were you that busy in your studies? Mew didn't even know where you were!"

I bit my lip as I looked at Mew only to see his bored, resting face directed towards me. Maybe he's tired of answering our friends about my whereabouts. He doesn't even know my schedule for the past years after he graduated that same year.

"Sorry... I was busy and... well I had problems." I shrugged and avoided Mew's eyes.

"Family again?" Bright asked and I shrugged like it was nothing. I felt dead inside because I've long accepted that I don't have a family in this world. Maybe having one is really not for me.

"I don't have one." I bitterly said and their eyes widened at my response.

"That is just... awful!" Sinee shouted and wrapped his arm around mine. "I don't want to pity you because you might not want that. Let's just eat okay? We really came here when Zee told us that it's your first day!"

I looked at Zee and he cheerfully smiled at me.

"I tried my luck in asking Mew again. It's such a coincidence that you applied here and you got hired. It's a good thing I'm a nosy guy." he sneered and I chuckled before shaking my head.

"Don't you ever disappear again or I'll hunt you down." Bright seriously said and I pouted before nodding.

"Let's eat? I have to go back to work in an hour." I suggested and they all agreed to me.

"Why do you have to worry about that? Your friend is the CEO!" Sinee said like it's a normal thing. If only they knew what happened.

"I'm here to work Sinee. I want it to stay that way." I briefly said and avoided the topic of my friendship with Mew. I don't want to talk about that anymore because Mew already told me that we can't go back to being... friends.

His words hurt but not that much. I'm used to disappointments that even if I get rejected or things don't go my way, I can still smile. Acceptance is the only key to everything so I won't get hurt that much or at least don't bleed for too long.