VII. piano quintet in f minor by César Franck

Eddy Chen has been married for a few years now. He realized that he loved his best friend of two decades when he already has a kid and is happy with his wife. Brett Yang wasn't taken by anyone. Does Eddy act on his feelings or does he just sweep it under the rug and pretend it never existed?

warnings: expletives, angst

Third Person POV

Eddy Chen was happy.

He has an amazing life and he feels fulfilled by his accomplishments. If you look at it, he has a wonderful and lovely wife, he has a beautiful four year old daughter, he provided them for both them both, he has a nice house, and he still has his YouTube channel, co-owned with his best friend ever since they were young.

The two had been best friends for so long, that they're dependent on each other in some situation or in some way. Eddy knows that if he feels something wrong, he can immediately sort it out with his wife or Brett.

It's nice knowing that I always have three people I have that's within reach. Eddy thought.

Eddy's wife, Stephany, loved Brett too. She saw how much of an older brother Brett is like for Eddy and sometimes even envied their relationship. She kinda wished that she had a best friend like that when she was younger. So, when Brett was around, even Emilia was enjoying his company.

Stephany and Brett grew closer, with Brett treating her like the way he treats Eddy. Of course, it was the same with Emilia, except he was much more overprotective. There was something about Brett Yang that evoked calmness and peace, making you feel grounded and just plain happy. The Chen's knew this so well.

Eddy, of course, knew it much better than the two, after knowing Brett for a long time. Eddy just arranged a date for him and Stephany for tomorrow. He was just talking to Brett in the phone about babysitting Emilia. Brett immediately said yes.

Another thing about Brett, he's single. It also seems like he never dated anyone. The topic never really came up, so Eddy doesn't know. He made a mental note to ask Brett about it.

They talked for a while and Eddy just felt so happy. After hanging up the phone, he felt a little bit empty. Almost as though he had the urge to call Brett again and stay up all night with him. But Brett probably needed the sleep since he's watching Emilia tomorrow.

Eddy crawled on the bed, next to his wife and spooned her. She kissed Eddy's cheek and let him cuddle her, feeling safe in his arms. Both fell asleep with peace and a sense of calm. Almost like what Brett makes them feel.

When they woke up, both smiled immediately. Knowing that they had the day to themselves. They heard the doorbell ringing and Eddy stood up to answer it. He knew who it was by heart.

"Eddy!" Brett said as he hugged his best friend.

"Hi to you, too." Eddy said as he hugged back.

Even if they aren't living together, they had a routine. Especially at Eddy's house. So, quietly, while Stephany gets ready, Eddy's making coffee for the two of them as Brett chats with the younger. Just catching up with each other, even if they do see each other almost every day.

Eddy remembered the mental note from last night.

"Oi, Brett. I have a question."

"What?"

"I never hear you talk about your love life."

"That's because I don't have one." Brett said as a matter-of-factly.

"Why though?"

"No reason. I just can't find someone who likes me that I like." Brett said honestly, but there's still a hint of mystery in his voice.