XXXVI. violin concerto in e minor, ii. andante by Felix Mendelssohn

Brett Yang and Eddy Chen's relatives are used to seeing them be each other's date every time someone was getting married. What happens if Eddy didn't bring Brett as date for his cousin's wedding?

warnings: expletives, a mix of angst and fluff

Third Person POV

People are used to seeing Brett and Eddy together on every gathering as each other's dates. It isn't really a gay thing, per se, but more of a support system. They both think it's more practical for the long term pictures of family. They're really not in love. No, that's what all their relatives think but they really aren't.

Well, at least Eddy isn't in love. That's what Brett thinks, because for him, his actions were painfully obvious. It was definitely obvious that Brett was in love with Eddy. If you were to observe them, you will see how Brett looks at Eddy like Eddy is his entire life. You'll see Eddy looking around for other people.

Brett pretends he doesn't see it, or if he remembers that it's for Eddy's happiness, he'll help him look. There are numerous and uncountable times where Brett would just want to tell at Eddy or even beg him to just choose Brett. He always held back though and continued to be the best friend.

If he can't have Eddy as a lover, then a best friend is the next best thing.

Who was he to receive Eddy's love, anyway? He was just a nobody. Eddy deserves better than Brett. Even Brett knows that, so he doesn't let these feelings affect him too much.

So when Eddy brings a gorgeous woman as a date for his cousin's wedding, everyone was confused. It even came to a point where his other cousins asked him if he and Brett broke up. He was also confused because he and Brett were never together.

"What breakup are you guys talking about? Brett and I were never together." Eddy calmly stated when his date got drinks.

"Such a shame, he did look like he was really in love with you." Eddy's older cousin, Emily, said to him.

"Yeah, we really thought that you were together because he always was affectionate and caring towards you. We thought that you didn't want to share the fact that you were together because it seems like you always avoided his advances. Sorry if we assumed automatically, Eddy." Jenny, his younger cousin, said to him in an apologetic tone.

"Wait, affectionate and caring? Advances? Brett's always been like that, hasn't he?" Eddy asked his cousins, but the question wasn't answered when his date came back to the table.

His date and everyone else on the table had a great conversation. Eddy just couldn't wrap the statement around his head. Was he in love with Brett? Was Brett in love with him? But he was always so affectionate, it wasn't really a big deal. I mean, Brett always helped him with looking for people.

Brett was always there for him. He was there when Eddy's mom was sad about him choosing music conservatory instead of med school. He was there when Eddy was in a wheelchair because of an accident. He was there when Eddy went through heartbreaks.

Eddy tries to recall the times that Brett was going through heartbreaks. He can't think of any. It seems as though Brett was cold because he never did have heartbreaks. Well, at least ones that Eddy wasn't aware of. Maybe it's why Eddy always saw him as strong. Maybe Brett wasn't just experiencing things the same way that Eddy did.

He never really asked Brett if he was okay because it seems like he was always okay. Eddy makes a mental note to ask Brett when he gets home from the wedding. He wants to be there for Brett the same way Brett was for him.

- - - - - - - - - - - -

When Eddy gets home, he engulfed Brett in a hug. Brett could feel his heart race and secretly hoped that Eddy wouldn't feel it. The hug was tight and it seemed as though Eddy didn't want to let go. When Eddy pulled away, Brett felt a bit of sadness bloom in his chest but he pretends that he didn't feel anything.

"Hey, are you okay?" Brett immediately asked.

"I was going to ask you that." Eddy said, laughing dryly.

"Me? I'm okay. Nothing new, really." Brett said, not wanting to spill something that he's been keeping for years.

"Really? Not even a love interest?" Eddy asked.

"Well, there's this one person..." Brett said, hesitant to continue the statement.

"Tell me about the person, then." Eddy said softly.

"Well, he's really kind, soft-hearted, very passionate and determined... He's pretty, too. Really pretty. I don't really know what else to describe about him." Brett said, putting an emphasis on the pronouns.

"Oh, so he's a guy?" Eddy asked.

"Yeah, does that bother you?" Brett asked back, feeling a bit anxious.

"Not really... You know that you can tell me, right?" Eddy asked.

Brett felt himself get nervous. Does he already know? Brett thought to himself.

"Yeah, of course. It's not that important. I'm sure he doesn't like me back that way, anyway." Brett said, avoiding the tremble on his voice.

"Did you tell him, yet?"

"Oh God, no. He'd never see me the same way again. I'm contented with being just a friend."

"How would you know that he doesn't like you back if you haven't told him?"

"You only see me as a brother, Eddy. I don't think that he'd look my way. It's better this way, too. I get to keep him as a valuable friend and he'd see me as someone he can always trust. That's enough for me." Brett said, not realizing the Freudian slip that he had just muttered.

"So, you're saying that you'd rather see him be happy with someone else than you telling him? That's so selfless, Brett. Wow... What if he likes you back, though?" Eddy said, pretending to ignore Brett's slip-up.

"Nah, I don't think so."

There was an awkward silence among them. Eddy didn't really know what to say. It had just sunk into Brett that he accidentally confessed to Eddy. Eddy was still allowing the information to sink in.

"I'm sorry if you feel uncomfortable..." Brett croaked out, feeling his voice disappear.

"I'm not uncomfortable, Brett. I'm glad you told me." Eddy said, pulling Brett in another hug.

Brett allowed himself to cry. Years and years of emotions that are suppressed are just flowing free now. Eddy felt bad, he really did. He wanted to be there for Brett now. The same way Brett was there for him.

Brett just held onto Eddy. He really didn't know where they could end up now, but he knows that nothing would be the same anymore. He's afraid to look up, yet he's also relieved at the fact that his best friend didn't walk out on him. He tried to stop his tears from flowing and got a hold of himself.

"It's okay to cry, Brett. You don't always have to be so strong. I'll be here now, the same way you were always there for me." Eddy said, rubbing circles on Brett's back. He still continues to cry.

Brett doesn't know how, when, why and where he stopped crying. It felt like he kept on going until he felt tired. It still wasn't clear what Eddy thought of him, or what they are. The most important thing is he wasn't rejected. It wasn't the worst thing.