XXXV. leron leron sinta (a Filipino folk music) reimagined by Belle Chen

Brett Yang courts Eddy Chen traditionally. Brett, every single night, serenades Eddy outside of his house. Eddy's parents do not agree with Brett's affections. Until he proves himself worthy for Eddy's hand in marriage.

a/n: the terms that are italicized will be given their English definitions at the end of the chapter.

warnings: expletives, fluff and angst but happy ending.

Third Person POV

Eddy Chen's family was well-off. At least during the time that the Spaniards colonized the Philippines. He was one of the bachelors that women simply saw as too cold or men see as too strong for them. Eddy was intimidating and everyone knew that.

Eddy knows the existence of Brett Yang. A local farmers who earns a lot. Brett Yang was kind, helpful and patient. A lot of women like him but could never show their affections the way men do. So, women show their affections by giving him simple gifts of homemade dishes, embroidered handkerchiefs and the most common of them all are love letters.

Brett never really showed interest in any of the women that show their affections. It's not that Brett was picky, it's just, he had a certain Eddy Chen in mind. They were acquainted during a fiesta. It was for the celebration of Santacruzan for Flores de Mayo's crowning of a Reyna Elena.

Eddy was dressed in his best barong and slacks. When Brett saw him, Brett's world just stopped. He knew that he wanted to marry him. He didn't care if people would disapprove of their love. From now on, Brett had made a vow to prove himself worthy of Eddy's hand in marriage.

He starts off simple and easy. He will perform a harana outside his house. He grabbed his guitar and started to play a simple chord progression. Brett wished that he would open the capiz windows and hear him out and his affections.

Noong ika'y dumaan (when you passed by)
Ano'ng nakita ko? (what did I see?)
Hindi ko alam. (I don't know.)
Basta naramdaman, (I suddenly just felt,)
Basta natuklasan. (I suddenly just discovered)

Ang boses mo'y waring (your voice is like)
Bulong ng puno sa umagang kay tahimik (the whisper of trees on a quiet morning)
At doon ko narinig (and there was when I heard)
Ang awit ng pag-ibig (the song of love)

Eddy opened his window and listened. He looked at Brett with a blank stare)

O irog, (oh my beloved)
Dinig mo ba (can you hear)
ang pagtibok ng aking puso? (the beat of my heart?)
O irog, (oh my beloved)
Dinig mo ba (can you hear)
ang pagtibok ng iyong puso? (the beat of your heart?)

Brett looked up at Eddy, and Eddy still did not smile. Brett continued nonetheless. Belle, Eddy's ate looked out the windows and smiled at Brett. Knowing that the man was serenading her ading.

Bukas kaya makakakain na 'ko? (Tommorow, will I be able to eat?)
Kung puro ikaw ang nasa isip ko.
(If you are all that's on my mind.)
Ang hiraya mo (your reverie)
Sa araw-araw ko (on my everyday)

At kahit mawala ka pa (even if you're gone)
Hinding-hindi mawawala (my feelings for you will never fade)
Ang damdamin ko'y sayong-sayo.
(My heart will always be yours.)