XXXI. someone to watch over me by George and Ira Gershwin

Eddy Chen has always been alone. He knows that he's independent and can live alone. This changes when he is met by a tragedy. He now has a caretaker because he can't handle it alone, anymore. Turns out that Brett Yang, his caretaker, would be the love and center of his life.

warnings: expletives, fluff so sweet you might die of diabetes.

Eddy's POV

I've always been independent. I started living alone the moment I turned eighteen and always had known how to take care of myself. I guess a part of it stems from the fact that I know what I want. My years of living alone had taught me that only I could take care of myself.

I am Edward Chen. I'm twenty-five, I play the violin, I'm a concertmaster and occasional soloist for the Queensland Symphony Orchestra. I have kept my job there for three years now. It's the best job I could ever ask for. As for my love life? It's non-existent.

It's not like I'm avoiding the topic or future love interests, it's just, I always prioritized myself, family and friends more. Also, men and women tend to be intimidated by my independence. Another factor is the fact that I've never really met anyone that I could see myself in a relationship with. My mom and sister both told me that while it is good to have high standards, it would also be lonely if I hadn't found anyone for myself.

The list is long but the biggest factor is I don't like the idea of online dating. It's a great way to meet people, but it seems like everyone there just wants a good fuck. I actually want to form a connection first before jumping in bed with someone. I'm an old-school romantic and that wouldn't change.

Who doesn't love a nice, romantic dinner date with wine and desserts? I love handwritten notes and poems. I want to serenade my love at night before they sleep and wake them up with kissed and breakfast in the morning. I want to hold my lover while sleeping and make love. I want it to be perfect, but not too perfect.

People often say that for a cold man, I'm quite debonair. I believe that I'm not cold, I could just take care of myself better than anyone else can. I don't expect anyone to take care of me, really. So, when I get into a car accident, that left my legs on a cast, my mom decided to get me a caregiver.

I know that she means well since she cannot look out for me but I really don't like the fact that I'll have a caregiver that will always be with me. I really cant fire the caregiver because my mom's the one who's paying him. I try to tell myself that it's just for a few months. Once he got the cast removed and can walk again, he'll be fine in no time.

"Mr. Chen?" I hear a voice from the other room call me.

"Hey, I'm in the practice room. The farthest room from the left. Are you the caregiver that my mom hired?" I asked.

I could hear his footsteps as he was near the door. I tried to turn my wheelchair around to see the man. Eddy's mom told him that the man is Asian and could play the violin. She specifically picked him because she wanted Eddy to feel comfortable. Eddy really didn't.

"Sir, I'm Brett Yang. I'll be your caregiver for a few months. If you have any specific requests or things to look out for, you can tell me anytime." The quite short man told him. He was okay, not really too attractive or eye-catching.

"As you know, I'm Eddy. Besides the instructions that my doctor and mom told you, my only request is you should not touch my things unless I ask you to do so and you have to keep the place neat." I said with nonchalance. He nods and smiles at me.

Okay, so his deadpan face is quite deceiving. He looked average with it, but with a smile he looked precious. I push these thoughts away. No, I cannot be attached to him. He's merely my helper and nothing more.