XXVI. the girl with the flaxen hair by Claude Debussy

A few years ago, Eddy Chen fell in love with a blonde haired girl. He was constantly playing this piece in the piano and Brett Yang got sick of it. Little did Brett know, he would be replaying this song in his head when he sees Eddy with blond and brown highlights on his hair.

warnings: expletives, a little bit angsty, but overall fluff

a/n: the italics symbolize flashbacks

Brett's POV

I was sharing a practice room with my best friend, Eddy Chen. I was practicing my scales and Eddy was on the piano. For a few weeks now, Eddy has been playing the same piece over and over as long as he was near a piano. I was getting sick of it, so I asked Eddy about it.

"Eddy, what's with the piece? I know that you love Debussy but it's too much." I asked, half complaining.

"It's just, you know Zoe?" He asked.

"The blonde girl from your year?" I asked, trying to recall what she looks like.

"Yeah." He said with a dreamy look on his face.

"You like her?" I asked, pretending that my heart isn't breaking from the question.

"Yeah, she's great man. A good performer, kind and beautiful. She's really beautiful, bro. I can't..." Eddy said, clutching his chest for effect.

"That's cool." I said, trying to sweep the topic under the rug.

So, he's in love. That was out of the blue. I mean, Eddy Chen always appeared cold and he never really was that interested in anyone. What changed, Eddy Chen? What changed? I try to think about Zoe.

I guess it's only fair. She was everything I wasn't. A great performer, smart, and most of all beautiful. I wish I was beautiful, maybe then you'd take a second look at me. Also, most importantly, she's a girl.

I'll never compare to anyone that he'll ever love. Maybe in a nice life, I'd be braver. Maybe I'll love him enough to let him know, I just need to build up the courage.

I will but not now. Not now.

Sometimes, I don't know how I got so lucky but I now have this wonderful man in my arms and in my home. He's wonderful and he's more than I ever asked for. The thing that made me the most lucky is the fact that he loves me as much as I do with him.

He said he had a surprise that was waiting for me the moment I came home. Honestly, I cannot wait. Despite me being more extroverted, Eddy's taste is bolder and braver. I wonder what's the next thing he'd do.

I pull over our driveway and I don't see signs of him waiting for me outside. Maybe the surprise involves something he's wearing. Hmm, lingerie would be nice on Eddy, though. It will make him prettier.

God, Brett, stop thinking too much. Fucking perv.

I leave the car and locked it. I walk towards the door and unlocked it. When I opened the house, it seems too quiet. Everything is tidy and it smells like vanilla candles had been lit.

"Eddy?" I call out from the living room, waiting for a response.

"Practice room, love." He responded, voice a bit distant but could be heard, nonetheless.

I enter the practice room and I was not prepared for the sight of Eddy looking like that. He was just sat on the piano bench, not doing anything in particular. He wasn't dressed differently but his hair was colored.

"You got your hair colored?" I asked. The melody of Debussy's the girl with the flaxen hair is playing in my head. Weird.

"Yeah. Do you like it?" He asked, biting his lips a little. My poor angel's nervous.

"It looks great, Eddy my love. Don't worry too much." I said as I approached him. I tangle my fingers in his hair as I sat down next to him on the piano bench. The melody in my head is continuously playing.

I quietly hum the piece to myself and he starts playing it jokingly. I laugh, not realizing that he had heard me.

"What?" He asked, looking at me with confusion and delight.

"I didn't know you heard my humming." I said with amusement, he smiles at me. "Do you remember, when you were nineteen and I was twenty, every time we shared a practice room, you would play that in the piano. Or anytime you got near a piano?" I added.

He laughs loudly, probably cringing at the memory of it.

"I do. God, it's a good piece but what the fuck was I thinking?" He said, face crinkling with cringe.

"I was so jealous of her. I mean, you always played it and it was always passionate when you did." I admitted.

He rested his head on top of my shoulder and sighed.

"You've liked me that time?" He asked.

"Who wouldn't? You were the greatest gift that I was ever given by the world." I said honestly, intertwining our fingers and hands together.

I started rubbing circles with my thumb on the back of his hand. He used his free hand to lightly touch my knuckles with his fingertips. I tilted my head to the side a little to give the top of his head a kiss. He looks up at me with his eyes sparkling.

I've seen that look a lot. Sometimes, I still can't believe that it's reserved only for me. I use my free hand to caress his cheek and pinch it lightly. He smiles and I lean down to peck him on the lips.

"I love you." He said when we pulled away from the innocent and soft kiss.

"I love you, too." I said as my hand from his cheek went down and rested on the space where his neck and shoulders meet.

He pulls me in a hug and I hugged back. This is definitely what heaven on earth feels like. His arms.