Chapter 22- We did it dad

Song-

Broke

by; Samm Henshaw

Maddi's pov-

The crain house. I have to be honest it was pretty creepy at night. The van was parked infront of a stone wall we have to hop over to get to the basement. Pope and John b were going over the list of supplies we need for the well.

"Rope?" John b asks

"Check" Kie says grabbing the rope

"Dark clothes?" 

"Check" Pope says.

"Grappling hook?" John b asks. We all look at him concerned.

"No, we aren't batman" Pope remarks.

"I want a grappling hook, and then I can become a super hero and have dolls made after me" I say while fiddling with my braclet. When I look up everyone is staring at me. JJ just chuckles and wraps his arm around me kissing my forehead.

"Okay lets do this" He says about to climb out of the van.

"Wait" John b says. "thank you all, couldn't do this without y'all"

"Of course"

"No problem"

"Yeah"

Kie, Pope and Sara all say.

"It's for dad" I give a soft smile "And I want to be rich, Lets do this!"

I whoot as we all get out of the van and climb over the wall. 

"If I die tonight i'm haunting you first John b" I Joke to my brother as we walk to the house. Suddenly a light comes on causing all of us to kneel down in the bushes.

"Did she see us" We all sit around looking .

"No it must've been a motion sensor light" Pope says.

"What if we move really slowly" JJ suggests. We all turn to look at him.

"Move really slowly?" Pope repeats dumbfounded.

"Yeah" JJ says innocently.

"Yeah, that's not really how it works" I suck air through my teeth and pat his shoulder. "Nice try though."

"We could throw a rock at it" John b suggests.

"What?!" Kie and Sara say at the same time.

"How am I related to you?" I ask.

"What?" John b shrugs.

"I'm surrounded by idiots" I mutter. JJ pokes my side making me squeal but he quickly wraps his hand around my mouth.

"The breaker" Sara blurts out. We all look at her as she goes on. "When we were little we would play hide and seek here. If we were brave enough we would go up to the porch."

"Oh yeah the breakers on the porch I remember" I say after prying JJ's hand off. John b and JJ look at me in shock.

"When did you go up there" John b asks.

"When we were in 3rd grade, I was kicking a soccer ball of the way home from school when you guys were doing something and I kicked it into her yard. But then I saw a cat and followed it onto the porch" I shrug.

"What-" John b looks at me concerned and confused.

"Anyway I could just turn the breaker off" Sara says.

"No- no way you're going up there alone." John b says.

"I'll go" Kie says.

"No" Pope adds.

"we can bring Maddi too" Kie suggests. My eyes widden. I really don't want to die today.

"Yeah" I say standing up even though I really don't want to.

"Nope no way Maddi, you're staying here" JJ says, I glare at him.

"I'm my own person" I say crossing my arms.

"I don't want you to get hurt" He adds.

"She's like what? 85? I'm suprised she's still kicking" I say. JJ agrees and lets me go.

"Hey be safe" John b says to sara.

"I will" Sara says as her and Kie start to head off.

"I'll be safe to love you bro" I say sarcastically. He just gives me a thumbs up so I flip him off before catching up. We creep onto the porch, It was cluttered. Old funiture and boxes scattered around. We find the breaker and try to flick it. Nothing happens.

"sh*t" I say looking at the wire the leads right into the crane house "Yep, we're gonna die"

Kie and Sara look at me with wide eyes before walking over to the door. Kie slowly turns the handle before quietly opening the door. Why doesn't she lock her doors? Oh yeah she's an axe murderer. We slowly walk inside shining our flashlight around trying to find the switch.

"Over here" Sara whispers. Kie and I walk over to her before she switches it off. We smile and high five before we hear creaking down the stairs.

"Lean, Leon" Mrs. crane croaks out. It sounded like she smoked a pack of cigarettes everyday since she was 3. Her cane bangs against the stairs after each step she takes. We all sit there quietly trying to not make any noise.

"Leon its late" She says walking right past us. Sara lets out a breath which I guess she hears because she quickly turns to us. We all scream and go seperate ways. I find a closet and lock myself in it. After what feels like hours but was only a few minutes I hear gunshots coming from the .. basement. I quickly open the closet door and run down to the basement to see mrs.crane with a gun shooting, Pope and JJ hidden behind some boxes, Kie and Sara behind some other things and John b starting to climb out of the well. Sara and Kie hop out and run out of the basement. Pope follows behind. Leaving me JJ and John b in the basement. JJ notices me behind mrs.crane and mouths what are you doing. He takes a step which causes a creek, mrs.crane points her gun at him. Out of instinct I shout.

"Stop" I say. She whips around and points the gun at me. I duck and run past her after realizing she's blind. JJ ran ahead of me as I help John b out of the well.

"Come on" I whisper yell as we run out of the basement. Everyone else is back in the van and John b is over the wall. I start to climb when I feel a pain in my side. I groan. My stitches ripped... again. I Pull myself over the wall and hear everyone question where I'm at. I hop down letting out a grunt and hop into the car.

"Drive drive" I say sitting next to JJ and Kie. 

"You look disgusting" Sara says.

"And smell like sh*t" Kie says.

"Hey it matches you personality" I give him a sarcastic smile he takes his hand and wipes some of the sewage water on me.

"I hate you" I say as we both laugh.

"The b*tch is crazy" Kie laughs

"That b*tch is blind" Sara laughs also.

"Yet we still managed to almost die, I think it's us" I joke refering to all the other times we've almost died over the past couple weeks.

"You didn't Omg!" Sara squeals. I look to her and then my brother. He was holding something covered in mud.. gold.

"No freaking way!" I scream. "We did it" 

"We're gonna be rich" JJ says grabbing my hand.

"I can't believe it" Pope yells from the drivers seat.

"Full kook Baby!" John b says.

"Full kook! Full kook! Full kook!" We chant driving down the road.

We did it dad...