Chapter 33- Topper

Chapter 33-  Topper

              *Before you start this chapter I just wanted to say topper is not a love interest. He just becomes a really good friend to Maddi during this*

Maddi's pov-

The summer breeze blew through my hair as I sped through outerbanks.  The moon lighting the road as I drove down it. After a few minutes of driving I pulled up at the graveyard. Since I refused to leave my room the police called uncle T and he had them burry and empty casket for John b. I walked through the gates of the graveyard and looked around for my brothers headstone. When I saw the words John Booker Routeledge I gasped. It was almost funny how much my life had changed in the past few months. I walk over to where the headstone was. I sat down next to it pulling my knees up to my chest. While grazing my fingers lightly across the headstone I started talking.

"Hey Johnny" I sniffle. "I miss you. And I know you're gone but I feel like you're still here. I don't know if it's a twin thing or i'm going crazy but I just feel like you're still with me" I chuckle slightly and look up at the moon. The sounds of crickets was interupted by a footstep. I jolted around to see Topper.

"Maddi?" 

"topper?"

"What are you doing here?" We both said in sync. I just gesture towards the headstone with a duh look.

"Oh god Maddi, I'm so sorry" Topper says. I look at him, tears lightly stained his cheeks.

"Why are you here?" I ask as I pat the ground next to me.

"My sister" I shoot my glance to him  as he sits next to me "She passed away my freshman year"

"I'm so sorry" I give him a apolgetic smile.

"Thanks"

"If you don't mind me asking what happened?" I ask.

"No it's fine. She got cancer when I was 12 and she was 11. She got through it but ended up having it again." Topper looks down. I reach over and grab his hand he gives me a thank you look. 

"I never knew you had a sister" I told him letting go of his hand.

"Not a lot of people did, I didn't start hanging out with Rafe and kelce until after. That's when people started to know who I am" Topper explains. I honestly think he's a good person just the wrong friends.

"How are you holding up?" Topper asks. I sigh and look back out at the moon.

"As good as I can be, I guess" Topper just nods.

"I saw him before" Topper tells me.

"Who? John b?" I ask looking at him.

"Yeah I found him and Sara in the bell tower" Topper explains to me.

"Oh" I say looking to my feet.

"Yeah there was a fire and they used me as a decoy from the police" 

"Really" I say in shock.

"Yeah, it was the least I could do" Topper shrugs.

"Thank you" I say with a smile. Hours pass, Topper and I spend a lot of the night talking. Mostly about our sibling, sharing stories and memories. 

"yeah so then he punched him for asking me out" I chuckle. I was telling topper about how John b beat up a kid that asked me out in 7th grade.

"Did he really?" Topper chuckles.