18

"King?" Virgil frowned as he rolled over in bed. "King come here." Virgil huffed slightly at the lack of kitten purrs that always come right after he called for his cat. "King?" Virgil's frown only grew as he sat up and rubbed his eyes. Normally he just assumed King was sleeping in his castle but he ALWAYS sleeps with him at night and ALWAYS comes when he's called. He yawned wiht a slight stretch before glancing over and freezing up instantly at the sight of his door open. "SHIT, KING?!" 

"KING!" Virgil yelled as he ran out the door straight to the living room ignoring the confused looks of Logan and Patton on the couch. 

"Kiddo, is everything ok?" Virgil shook his head as he looked under the loveseat making the other two's worry grow.

"Anxiety, might you explain what it is you are doing?"

"My bedroom door was open." Patton's eyes went wide as Virgil jumped up clearly asking them to do the same. Logan nodded as he helped his boyfriend up before watching as Virgil checked under the sofa as well. "I should've gotten a damn lock. I knew he could open them."

"Who, Kiddo?" 

"King." Patton's eyes went wide as Virgil choked back a sob and pushed himself up with a shake of the head. "He... He knows how to open my doors... and I woke up today with him gone and my door open."

"That cat literally never leaves your side." Virgil deflated as Logan frowned in confusion. "He never goes anywhere unless you're there."

"Well, he did. Somehow for some reason at some point, King opened my door and left while I was asleep." Logan opened his mouth to say something only to freeze as Virgil growled. "If you say I should've taken precautions and taken better care of him and shit I swear, Logan, I will flip..."

"I was going to offer my assistance." Virgil's eyes went wide as Logan shifted a bit uncomfortably. "I was only against it so strongly because of Patton's wellbeing but... I have seen how King had greatly helped with yours so... I'm sorry for being so harsh with you about him. I am willing to help in looking for him."

"Yeah, Kiddo!" Patton beamed as he brushed Virgil's tears away. "I'm sure he's around here somewhere. That cat absolutely adores you. You may call him king but I guarantee that small prince sees you as the one with the crown."

"Oh, ha ha, Morality." Virgil smiled slightly through the tears as he shook his head. "I just don't understand why he ran."

"He's got to be here somewhere, Anxiety. We'll help you look." Virgil nodded as he slowly got up and started back for the rooms, letting the other two look around the rest of the place some more. 

"King?" Virgil whispered softly as he checked under a table in the hallway and he sighed feeling as more tears fell.

"What are you looking for?" Virgil jumped eyes wide as he turned around to see Roman standing there with this soft smile. "Anx?"

"Roman?" Roman frowned as Virgil quickly wiped his tears away and tried to put on the sassy snarky mask but he was just to upset for it to look right. "You're back."

"Yep." Roman's eyes darkened as he glanced down at his hands and sighed. "Since last night. Is everything ok?"

"Everything's fine." Roman tensed feeling his chest tighten as Virgil's eyes continued to tear up despite the other refusing to let them spill. "Why do you care anyway?"

"I was just..."

"Forget it, Princey. I'm busy." Roman jumped slightly as Virgil started to turn away. He reached out only to freeze as he groaned and pulled his hand away. 

"What are you looking for?" Roman winced at the break in his voice as Virgil just rolled his eyes. "Maybe I can help?"

"Unless, you've seen a little orange tabby running around, I don't think you can." Roman's eyes went wide as Virgil glared over at him.

"You're... looking for a cat?" Roman had to choke back the guilt that tore through him. He knew it... He just knew it. He didn't want things to change. He didn't want things to go back to the way things were. He hadn't gotten the chance to tell him yet. He was still trying to figure out how to but now... Now it was to late. Roman was human again and he just couldn't make things worse for the man. He already couldn't stand how much his love was already hurting. "Anx..."

"Roman?" Roman looked back to see Logan standing there and he groaned. "You're back?"

"Yes, and I know we have a lot to discuss but not right now." Logan frowned in confusion as Roman turned back see Virgil roll his eyes and scoff. "Anx..."

"Forget it, Princey. Seriously..."

"Anxiety!" Roman didn't stop himself that time. He grabbed Virgil's arm making the other flinch at the contact. "I want to help. Just... I don't know how."

"Roman, I don't know what the fuck it is you're doing but I'm not in the mood to deal with your shit." Virgil tore his hand free as he glared the prince down. "I just lost my cat. I have no idea where he when, why he ran, or if anything happened to him. You've been gone now FOR WEEKS!"

"No... I haven't." Virgil's eyes flashed purple as Roman frowned seeing the shadows around them both shift. "Anx... Please? I want to help. If maybe we could just talk..."

"I don't have anything to say to you." Virgil shot a glance back at Logan and frowned as his tears started to spill again. "If you see him... let me know. I just can't take this anymore."

"Anxiety, wait..." Virgil's door slammed shut making Roman tense as that familiar creeping feeling crawled down his spine. "No. No, Anxiety!" Roman went to knock on the youngest's door only to stop as Logan grabbed his shoulder and shook his head. "But... I... I-I have to..." Roman groaned as he let himself be pulled away. He wasn't a cat anymore. He'd have to get used to the change. "So... What did I 'miss'?"