31

Roman panted as he practically glitched out. He was rapidly shifting back and forth, desperately trying to be human again. He didn't care if it hurt. He had to. He had to talk to Virgil. He had to explain. He couldn't stay in this room. This... this overbearing silence was literally killing him. He didn't know how long Patton had left. He knew it had been awhile. At some point, he had fallen asleep. He wanted to say he didn't sleep for long but... He honestly just didn't care either way. The second he woke up from that nightmare he set to work.

"DAMN IT!" Roman yelled as his body forcibly shifted back into the cat making him fall off his bed. He whined and whimpered at the pain that tore through his spine. He couldn't do it. He couldn't take the silence. He needed Virgil. He needed to explain. 

'Fuck it.' Roman meowed painfully as he shakily forced himself up to his feet. He staggered tripping slightly on his tail and he shook his head and slowly made his way to the door. He had to stop for a bit as he took a deep breath and readied himself for the pain. 'Ok. One... two... Go!'

"Yes!" Roman beamed before finding himself once again a cat. He didn't even care. He was just happy to not be trapped anymore. He made his way over to Virgil's without even a second thought, curling up right outside the door. Virgil might not want him right now but Roman couldn't leave him. He wasn't going to push. He couldn't... He couldn't even explain right now like he wanted to, considering his magic being out of control. Even still... He wasn't going to leave. He was going to wait right there and guard that door until he was finally able to make things right again.

"Janus?" Virgil frowned as he found the snake just staring at the door. "What..."

"There's a cat outside your door." Virgil's eyes went wide as he spotted Nyxie jumping up and running over to the door to whine. 

"Ro..."

"No. I mean a literal cat." Janus frowned as sniffed the air a bit and cringed. "Pain... a lot of pain and fear."

"Roman." Virgil simply repeated as he walked over to the door to pick Nyxie up. He hesitated a bit wanting nothing more than to open the door and see him again but... He just wasn't ready. He wasn't ready and Roman sitting there waiting for him wasn't helping. "Janus, I don't know what to do. I'm scared."

"Well... Remus shouldn't have meddled. I am very sorry about that." Virgil just sighed as he carried his little kitten away, who yipped and meowed so sadly. Virgil understood though. Nyxie was just as much Roman's cat as she was Virgil. She missed her other dad. "Virgil..."

"He was King the whole time, Jan." Janus's eyes darkened as Virgil just sat there dazed. "I can't tell if it was a trick or... if he actually cared. Why didn't he just tell me?"

"I don't know. I do know, however... When you had that panic attack over Logan's plan... It was King or well Roman who helped you through it. Remember?"

"Yea?" Virgil's voice hitched as he shook his head. "He... He always helped... Since I found him." Janus's eyes narrowed in thought as Virgil just cuddled with Nyxie. "Since the first attack he saw, he did everything he could to help me. He... He was very...protective."

"Has Roman ever 'faked' wanting to help someone before?" Virgil sighed as he shook his head.

"King... King was very... aggressive in the beginning. He wanted nothing to do with me." Virgil slowly let Nyxie go who instantly ran back over to the door as Virgil just stared at nothing. "I just thought he was a frightened animal not... Not that he was Roman. Janus... Putting aside that Roman lied to me... I literally broke into his room with him with me." Janus's eyes shot up as Virgil smiled, tears building in his eyes. "I almost read his diary. I said so much shit about Roman only making things worse... and thank god roman wasn't there. I let down my walls and talking things out because I thought he was just a cat. Damn it... Worst still I told him... I told him how scared I was that he had suddenly just vanished both the prince to the cat and the cat to the prince. He said nothing."

"Virg..."

"And then there was his... 'separation anxiety'..." Janus cringed a bit as he looked back at the door understanding the pain and fear now after Virgil had mentioned that. "I literally changed in front of him. Thought it didn't matter any... it was a cat. He broke into my bathroom while I was taking a shower, Jan. He refused to ever EVER leave me..." Virgil faltered as the realization hit him hard. "Roman... said he couldn't be apart from me."

"Virgil... I personally do not have an answer. I don't know what to say but... You know as well as I do that the fear Roman is feeling right now is very much real."

"And it could mean a million different things!" Virgil yelled out as his mind started to spiral. "There are so many things he could be afraid of. One of which could simply be that he's terrified I would do something to get back at him. I mean... I did threaten his Disney movies once."

"Virgil..."

"Just stop, Janus. Please?" Virgil curled up into himself as he laughed with a broken expression. "I don't... know what to do, ok? I'm scared too."

"You could always come back?" Virgil faltered a bit as he looked up to meet his friend's soft look. "I know why you wanted to switch sides, I do. But... If you're really that worried... You can always come back."

"And face Remus?" Janus frowned as Virgil shook his head. "Janus... Remus... He didn't just waltz in spitting randomness like he does. This was premeditated and... He's Roman's twin. Frankly... I don't think I can look at either of them right now."

"I'm sorry to hear that, Virgil." Janus smiled sadly as he fixed himself up and sighed. "Well, I, unfortunately, have a rat to care for. I have to go. I'll talk to you again?"

"Maybe..." Janus nodded as he teleported out leaving Virgil on his own. Nyxie still continued to scratch at the door refusing to let up. Virgil sighed as he forced to walk to the door. His hands shook as he held the doorknob tightly. Roman was just on the other side, but Nyxie... She meowed so sadly making Virgil groan as he let the door crack open. His eyes caught sight of the orange tabby trembling on the floor and... his heart broke. He wanted to pull him in and care for him like he used to but he was still hurt. He just needed time. Nyxie wasted no time as she ran out and rubbed up against the little orange ball. Roman growled weakly only making Nyxie paw at him. Virgil simply let the door close. He just couldn't do it yet.