Chapter 20: James and Lily Sitting in a Tree

It was a Wednesday at Hogwarts and the Marauders were sitting in the court yard because it was getting warmer. It has been a month since Sirius' and Remus' date and they've been going strong since then.

"Ok guys I need help to get Lily," James explained to his friends.

"You've been saying that for weeks and maybe even months before Padfoot and I got together," Remus stated to James. I mean he isn't wrong.

"Yeah even before we met Moony you've been going after her," Peter said. He's not wrong at all.

"Ok. Guys. I get it. I've been going after Lily way too long and every time she's rejected me. But just so you know...I'M NOT GIVING UP UNTIL I GET THE GIRL OF MY DREAMS!"

"Here we go again," Remus facepalmed.

"TO THE GREAT HALL MY FELLOW MARAUDERS!" James commanded.

James started to run to the Great Hall with Marauders right on his tail. They weren't running per say, it was more of speed walking, but James was running like his life depended on it. In this case though to James his life definitely depended on him getting Lily to go out with him.

They finally got to the Great Hall and James was still running, but towards to the, what is known as the Gryffindor table.

James went and stood up on the table in front of Lily and her friends Alice and Marlene, who were with her.

"I HAVE AN ANNOUNCEMENT TO MAKE!" James shouted to the whole Great Hall. "Miss. Lily Evans. I, James Potter, would like to know if you'd like to go out with me, on a date."

"Here we go again," a mysterious voice said. Yeah this is like a weekly or an everyday thing that James does, so that means everyone knows the drill.

"Oh shut it," James said to whoever made that side remark. "So what do you say Lily? Would you like to go out with me?"

Lily didn't really know what to say. Sure she's been through this drill before and her answer was always no, but sometimes she regrets saying no. Most of the time she does say no is because she wants James to be nagging her. She's had a thing for James since last year and she never understood why she was always saying no, but today is the day of why she always said no. It's because she loves this idiot.

"Lily?"

She looks up at the messy haired boy and gave a small smile and said, "Friday after school?"

The whole room went silent, and by silent it means even the teachers were shocked was an understatement.

"D-did you actually s-say y-yes!?" James stuttered out. He was in so much shock by Lily's action.

"I don't know. All I said was Friday after school. So you tell me what that means Potter."

James fainted off the table, but if it wasn't for Sirius and Remus he would have probably gained a concussion and end up not going on his date with Lily.

XXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXX

It was Friday in their last period class with only five minutes left of it. James is really giddy at the moment because once that bell rang him and Lily were going out on a date. They decided to do something small like go to a cafe in town and talk.

During the last few days everyone was singing, 'James and Lily Sitting in a Tree! K-I-S-S-I-N-G!'. James wasn't too annoyed by it, but honestly he thought he was going to explode if it didn't stop. Lily snapped too many times to count every time she heard the song being sang.

The bell finally rang and James waited outside for Lily to come out of the classroom so they can go on their date.

Lily came out a minute later and saw James as she did so. She gave him a small smile and then walked up to him.

"Ready to go?" James asked.

"Yeah...I'm ready. Just let me put my books away and grab the ones I need from my locker," she responded to James.

"Ok."

Lily put the books she didn't need and grabbed the ones she needed. She didn't have much work to do except one or two assignments, but otherwise that was it. Once she was done with that the raven haired boy and the emerald eyed girl went off for their date.

XXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXX

"Wait! So you're telling me that Sirius, Sirius Black, used to play with Barbie dolls when he was a kid!?" Lily exploded with euphoria of what James just told her.

"Oh yeah he did and his parents didn't like it one bit!" James explained to the girl that's always on his mind since forever. "He still hasn't told Remus, and I think that he should, but he just won't! I'm planning on telling Remus when I see him on Sunday, since he's supposed to come over along with Sirius."

"Oh that's nice, but my question is, how the hell he got those Barbie dolls in the first place?"

"You see...I may or may not have bought them for him."

"Aww...James that's so sweet of you."

"Well yeah he wanted them and I felt bad, so I convinced my parents to buy a few for him. He already had a rough life as it is, he still does, and I just wanted to make him happy. Heck! He basically lives at my house now, but his parents do take him away to try and train him to be a werewolf hunter."

"Does he do the training?"

"Yes he does. The only reason though is to protect the werewolves out there. Especially Remus."

Lily gave a sympathetic smile to the boy right in front of her. She had no idea what Sirius goes through and basically James knows it all, almost, and he trusts Lily with this information. He's even told her about his whole childhood and even the embarrassing stories, not all of course, but it was mainly the ones that Lily already knew information on. Just it felt more real for her to be told be James. He was still blabbing nonsense to Lily until she did something that she didn't expect herself to do.

She kissed him.

James was in shock for a moment until he got his senses back and kissed her back. Her lips were soft and perfect and James was so hoping that this wasn't a dream.

They pulled apart with James smiling like a goofball and Lily staring into James' hazel eyes.

"Lily?"

"Hm?"

"Do you want to be my girlfriend?"

All she did was smile, "Yes."