Can I say something?

Dad took me through the  cubicles of the employees and each and everyone greeted him warmly before giving me a confused glance.

I tried to maintain my professional smile , until Dad abruptly stops in the middle of the office , and says loudly ," Alright, everyone! I have a special announcement to make !"

Everybody became silent and looked at him expectantly, they had probably guessed it that this was related to me.

Honestly , I'm a little surprised that they don't remember me , since I used to come over quite a lot , before I went to London. Maybe four years is enough to forget someone. Or maybe a lot of them got fired in these years and they are all the new batch. 

Dad turns towards me and I return his smile .

"This is my daughter , Mira. She's just returned from London , and is now joining us as the company's CEO." 

I almost gape at that. CEO? When did we agree on the post?

All the employees started clapping and for  moment I think it's quite unnecessary , but they look so joyous that I smile a bit more and wait for it to die down.

" You wanna say something?" Dad gestures , " Go on."

Great. First the CEO , and now a speech. This day is full of surprises.

UNPLEASANT surprises.

My smile stiffens , and I nod , robotically.

" Hi , everyone, " I say loudly , " It's actually my pleasure to be working with you.." I trail off , " And let's work better and in a more efficient way to make this company at the top!!"

I don't need to look at their faces to know how crap my speech sounded. 

I look at Dad blankly , hoping he'll get the message. Let's go. Please.

" OK all of you . Continue your work!" Dad claps his hands , and turns towards a man , " Mr Sharma , please bring in the monthly report. And did  Bedi come yet?"

Mr Sharma , looks a little off the guard and shakes his head.

" He hasn't sir."

Dad scrunches his nose in displeasure , " When he does , direct him to my office."

Then as we're going towards the lift I hear him muttering , " Malhotra will come any moment and my lawyer isn't here with the contract."

Oh , so this is the problem.

" Why don't you call him , Dad?" I suggest.

" Yeah , well. This man doesn't know the meaning of picking up phones." Dad swept his hand through his receding hairline , his shoulders tensed.

" I'll call him, " I say as I pull out my phone , " Give me his number."

I dial his number , and a weird caller tune afterwards the man picks up.

" Hello?" a gruff voice says out loud on the other side.

" Advocate Bediji?" I say , as I put it on speaker.

" Yes , yes , speaking. And you are?" he sounded for some strange reason , eager.

" I am ..." I look at Dad.

He's gesturing to say from Behl and Co , and I reply , " I am from Behl and Company."

" Who are you?" he repeated.

I look at Dad , and he mouths PA.

 "Mr Behl's PA. I hope you remember that we require you today."