twenty-three

if there was something jungkook was terrified of even as a child, it was lightning and thunder.

jungkook's a walking college student and yet, he's still afraid of thunder.

the night seokjin stayed at their apartment, it rained hard and every now and then, loud claps of thunder would scare jungkook.
namjoon offered jungkook to stay at his room so he won't be alone. he knew they were going to finish reviewing their research so he just declined, saying that he's fine.

"i'm fine, it's fine, i'm fine, i'm fine, i'm fine." jungkook muttered to himself as he pulled the sheets closer to his face, body slightly shaking in fear.

seokjin bit the cap of his pen.
"the rain is getting stronger."

there was a loud clap of thunder.
"i'm worried about jungkook."

"he's afraid of thunders, right? i know that but i don't entirely know the reason behind it." seokjin replied.

"he had terrible nightmares about it. thunders always wake him up as a child, even in the middle of the night."

seokjin said no more and they just continued what they were doing.

jungkook was already asleep when a loud and sharp clap of thunder jerked him awake.

his heart was beating fast as his intake of breath was short and shallow. he held his chest.
water. he needs water. and he definitely needs to calm down.

jungkook glanced at the clock by his bedside table.
2:28 am.

he sighed as he got out of bed and went to the kitchen.
he was completely surprised when he saw seokjin, leaning against the countertop, holding a glass of milk.

seokjin glanced at him.
"you're still awake?" seokjin said as jungkook walked towards him.

"i woke up from the thunders." he replied as he got himself a glass and poured water. seokjin was watching him.

"how's your thesis going, hyung?" jungkook asked.

"going well." seokjin simply answered. jungkook put down the glass by the kitchen sink. he was about to go back to his room when a sharp sound of thunder echoed all over the place.

jungkook immediately let out a terrified yap and almost sat on the floor, eyes closed, hands against his ears. seokjin quickly went to his aid, kneeled close to him and slowly held jungkook's cheeks.
"oh god, are you okay jungkook?"

"no, i'm scared, seokjin hyung." jungkook whimpered.

"hey, hey, hey," seokjin whispered, "it's okay, jungkook. you can relax, i'm here. it's okay." jungkook could feel seokjin's breath as he spoke, a proof of how close he was to him.

jungkook slowly opened his eyes. seokjin could feel jungkook's muscle ease.
his eyes slowly moved upward until it locked in with seokjin's.
it was slightly dark with the lights off but jungkook could clearly see the twinkle in his eyes.

how close were they even were?
jungkook gulped as his mouth slowly hung open.

if he moved a little more closer, he could kiss seokjin.

jungkook moved very slowly towards seokjin, to which the latter didn't protest.
he moved closer, so close that he could already feel seokjin's breaths.
but when he was only a centimeter away from him, he stopped moving.

this is wrong.

"i.. i'm going back to sleep, hyung. thanks for your concern." was all jungkook said as he quickly got up and left seokjin.