thirty-two

instead of dwelling his thoughts on his failed confession, jungkook put all his focus on work. usually, he's comfortably all-smile to customers but this time, somehow everything felt forced to him. the focus was there, the emotions were somewhere else.

he stayed a little more late to help clean the area when the shop closed, mopping the floor, wiping the tables, and cleaning the utensils. their manager put a hand to his shoulder.
"good work today, jungkook," he praised as he smiled, jungkook returning the smile with a forced one, which he thinks should be enough to look believable, "usually, you're very easygoing but you seem really serious today."

"it's just school matters, boss," he replied, "a lot just happened."

their boss fished his pocket for the keys to lock the shop.
"well, you can tell me anything. i'm not just your boss here. technically, i'm also a father and i want all of you to feel that we're all a family here." somehow, his words warmed jungkook's heart.

when jungkook went home, he was surprised to see that seokjin was still there, laughing with namjoon.
"i'm home." he said, putting his shoes back on the rack.

"oh, let's eat dinner now," seokjin said as soon as he saw jungkook, "he has something important to say to me, anyway." he said as he smiled at jungkook whose heartbeat started racing as soon as his seokjin hyung's eyes landed on him.

oh god, the confession, jungkook thought.

they all sat together by the table, a delicious meal in front of them.
"now i'm curious," namjoon said, "what were you going to say?"

while he was working hours ago, jungkook decided to come up with an alternate confession, something far from what he actually wanted to say to seokjin.
"oh, what i was about to say was that i'm in the top ten highest scores in my midterm exams on philosophy."

namjoon and seokjin's eyes went wide.
that's the truth. jungkook actually was in the top ten. top four, to be specific. and what better confession would be other than jungkook is in love with seokjin? midterm exam score.
"oh, wow. that's amazing!" seokjin thought out loud, looking proud.
"do you want us three to celebrate?" he asked.

"no, it's fine. i'm just happy to tell you this good news." he replied.

namjoon gave him several pats on the shoulder.
"your hard work never fails you, jungkook. keep up the good work!"

jungkook couldn't say anything else and just nodded and smiled.

-

for the last few days, jungkook tried his best to divert his attention to anything else but seokjin.
instead of letting him mope around, taehyung has been cheering him up.
"are you daijoubu?" taehyung asked.

"yes, obviously i am, tae. thanks for asking." jungkook replied along with an eye roll.
taehyung laughed at his reaction.

he has been speaking random japanese words for the last few days, inserting them at any given sentences. jungkook guessed it was because he started watching anime, which taehyung wasn't really fond of.
"you are very omoshiroi, jungkook! that's very kawaii of you!" taehyung continued teasing him, chuckling.

jungkook pinched the bridge of his nose.
frankly, it was pissing him off.
"anata wa ittai nani o yatte imasu ka? yamenasai."
[translation: what the heck are you doing? stop it.]

taehyung threw his head back and laughed loudly.
"c'mon man, you should teach me more japanese words."

jungkook chuckled and took a sip from his large coffee cup.
he was about to say something when taehyung suddenly called him.
"what?"

"i forgot to tell you," he said, browsing through his instagram, "have you heard?"

"heard about what?"

"oh, so you haven't," taehyung said, "well, there's a rumor going around lately that your seokjin hyung is already going out with a classmate of his."

-

energy-drained, jungkook went home that day feeling extremely tired.
taehyung's news was a shock to him; unbelievable and not at the same time.

from the looks of it, jungkook thought, it might not be true, considering the fact that seokjin rejected anyone who confessed to him and he looks like the type of person to prioritize studies and his career.
it may be true, too. maybe, that classmate is a very kind, understanding, and a just a really nice person that's why seokjin got drawn in.

"damn, i forgot to ask tae if he's dating a guy or a girl." jungkook thought to himself as he walked towards the door of their apartment.

jungkook opened the door, closing it behind him, and taking off his shoes.
"i'm home." he called. he was about to put his shoes back on the shoe rack when an unfamiliar pair of shoes caught his attention. it was a male's shoes, slightly bigger than his.

"namjoon hyung? seokjin hyung?" he called out. as he was walking near the living room, he could hear laughter coming from it.

"namjoon hyu-" jungkook stopped midsentence when he saw another guy-the same guy who interrupted his confession-laughing with seokjin and namjoon. there were several empty cans of beer and several more new ones.

"oh, hi kookie!" namjoon greeted, a flush on his cheeks.

"uhm, what's going on?" he asked, confused as to why there was a drinking session.

"namjoon invited us over!" seokjin replied, raising a can of beer. he too, has a scarlet blush on his cheeks, an obvious sign they've been drinking for a while now.

"oh, by the way," namjoon said, putting his drink down, "this is shawn, a close friend of ours."

shawn gave jungkook a warm smile.
"i do believe you're namjoon's younger cousin jungkook?" he nodded and smiled back.

"yeah, nice to meet you." jungkook said and shook hands with shawn. behind them, seokjin was giggling to himself while finishing off his beer. namjoon downed his and put the can down with force.

"would you like to have a few drinks with us?" he asked.

jungkook glanced at the cans of beer and at his two hyungs who were laughimg uncontrollably.
"yeah, i'll have a few."

and he knows, it will be a long and terrible night.

-
a/n:

hi hello im back with another update as promised. anyway, lemme introduce to you a new character: shawn!
hope everyone is doing well and thank you to everyone who's still with me here in my banana milk and cookie story.

as always, i crave comments so please do leave them down below. i wanna hear your thoughts and opinions on today's update.
if you liked this chapter, please don't forget to vote! (thank you!)
also, i get frequent notifs of ppl adding this story to their reading lists so thank you as well!
if you wanna see more of my stories or just to be updated on banana milk and cookies, free to follow me. (❁'▽'❁)

stay safe and i'll see yall on my next update!! (─‿─)