𝐮𝐧𝐞𝐱𝐩𝐞𝐜𝐭𝐞𝐝 𝐢𝐧𝐯𝐢𝐭𝐞

Staring at the white invite in his hands, Noah tried to figure out if it came to the right address. Sure, the name sounded familiar and he had known the person but it still didn't make any sense.

He was friends with Isabel Sanchez but the same couldn't be said about her sister. There had never been any big arguments with Georgia in the past but she was always just Isabel's sister to him. It had been over four years since he had seen her. Why on earth would she invite him to her wedding?

He didn't want to go to that boring, overrated party which was full of strangers. That was what all weddings were to him. Of course, that was what he had said to Isabel when he called her immediately after seeing the invite.

He still didn't understand what happened during that phone call because on the next day, he somehow found himself shopping for a new suit for him for the wedding. Luckily they were done in less than fifteen minutes and now they were eating lunch in a restaurant before leaving.

"This is what I missed, just two of us hanging out together. Tell me, what's new in your life?" the twenty-eight years old asked while taking more pasta in her mouth.

Noah stared at the black-haired Latina and tried to find something to say. The truth was that nothing was new with him since they last met about a month ago. That was why he didn't understand her question, it's not like they hadn't talked on the phone at all since then.

"Nothing's new," he just said.

"That's not an answer. C'mon, do I need to ask all the questions so you can answer them? Okay. How's work? What about Debbie and Ellen? Are you dating anyone? What about..."

As she continued with the non-stopping questions, Noah just stared at her calmly, letting her run out of things to say. She was always the more talkative of the two and more social with people while he often stayed behind alone, in his own peace.

"I finally got a new dog, his name is Bailey." Animals had always been close to his heart ever since he was just a child and that was why choosing to study to be a veterinarian was an easy decision. He had lived with his Labrador Max for five years and now he had another one.

Isabel sighed in defeat. "I guess that's progress for you." It truly was. Noah wasn't a fan of changes and he wanted everything to stay the way they have been. Why change something that worked so well?

"Someone's staring," she suddenly said but didn't look around.

"Who?" Noah stupidly asked.

"How could I know? I just have a feeling that someone is looking at us." He smiled sadly at that. Isabel had been blind all of her life and even though she was used to not seeing anything, there were still days when she showed how jealous she was of him.

Noah looked around to see if someone was staring and immediately noticed a man turning his head away from them. He looked like he was closer to forty than thirty and had this nerdy glow around him. As a straight man, Noah could admit that he was good-looking but not exactly Isabel's type.

"There's a man," he whispered and kept his eyes on the stranger in case he either walked away or came to them.

"Would I like him?" she whispered back. Over the years they got to know each other's dating history and their type without asking too many questions.

"Nah, I don't think so," he said, she nodded and just like that, the unknown man was forgotten.

"You wouldn't know anyone..." Isabel stopped when his phone rang. He wouldn't have had any problems with ignoring the call but he couldn't do that to his mother.

"Sorry, I have to answer this," he gave her an apologetic smile. "Hey, Mom."

"It's been too long since I heard your voice. How are you, honey?" Deborah Fletcher asked. Why was everyone suddenly so curious about his life which was the same every day?