𝐭𝐡𝐞 𝐰𝐚𝐢𝐭 𝐢𝐬 𝐨𝐯𝐞𝐫

"Today is the day!"

"The wait is over!"

"I prayed for you, guys!"

That was all that Noah had heard all day and at first, it was nice and he got even more excited about what would happen later. Unfortunately, people didn't stop there, instead, it had continued for hours and everyone kept calling him and sending him messages.

It wasn't a big surprise that he had to shut the damn phone. Time might have gone by but he was still the same man who liked the silence. He had to enjoy it now that he had a chance because later it wouldn't be possible.

Penny would be home by six. He couldn't help but smile again even though that sentence hadn't left his mind since he heard it a week ago. He had been counting hours to see her again because damn, it had been way too long.

It took them a long time to even find a date when Penny could come home. The ache in his heart stayed the same as the calls and messages were now more of an exception than a rule. It was a miracle that they hadn't fought or even raised a voice to each other.

Noah had promised himself that he wouldn't take away that smile she had on the stage. Now she finally had a chance to come back for a weekend until she had to go back to Europe. It wasn't as long as he had wished for but he still had two days with Penny for the first time in two months. It was a time to celebrate!

Although all he wanted was to keep her all to himself the whole weekend, he knew that Penny probably wanted to meet her friends too. What about her family? Would they come to meet Penny or would she go to Texas? Hopefully not. He should talk with her about what plans she had for this special weekend and if those plans included him too.

"Who is she? Or he, sorry for assuming anything!" Noah turned to look at Isla, the receptionist of their clinic who was blushing a lot right now.

She was a young woman at twenty-one who was a bit shy first around the old people like she said herself. Now she often joked around the work and wasn't ashamed to go into personal topics. Unfortunately for her, Noah wasn't one to share secrets.

He opened his mouth to say something but because that question shocked him so much, he couldn't get any words out of his mouth. It wasn't the gay-question that shocked him but the who is she? The answer was really simple. She was Penny. It didn't matter what the real label was for their relationship but she would always be his Penny.

And was it so obvious that he was thinking a woman? He had been lost in thoughts all day and hardly focused on work which wasn't very good when there was a dying animal in front of him. Maybe he hadn't been as secretive as he had thought.

"My... friend has been away for months and now she's finally coming back. She has to leave back already on Sunday so it's not that much time but at least I get to see her somewhere else than from the screen," Noah explained.

"Wow, it's nice to hear you finally talking about a woman," Isla chuckled. "I thought you hated people! This friend is pretty important to you, isn't she?"

Noah didn't know how to answer so he just nodded and checked the clock on the wall again. How had it had been only five minutes?! He had three hours until she was back home and he had no idea how to stop thinking about that.

Somehow he managed to do that and when his shift ended he basically ran out of doors to his car. While driving home he listed the things to do before he met Penny, like going to shower, cleaning the place again, maybe get flowers. Would she enjoy a romantic dinner? What exactly she wanted to do? That reminded him to put calling her on top of the list.

That idea was soon forgotten when he got home and noticed who was sitting on his couch in the living room. Wearing black heels and a red dress that almost reached her knees, the woman leaned her head back, had her eyes shut and didn't move.