Chapter 7 - The One When Phana is a Sweetheart

Wayo's POV

I'm so not cut out to be a moon - not a pageant competing, faculty moon nor an astronomical body. Who named this thing moon and stars anyway?

I'm sick and tired of dancing, prancing and posing for what seems like every waking hour of my day. For one reason, I am actually really tired. Practicing is exhausting. Another reason is I'm uncoordinated, so I look like a fool and finally, Phana Kongthanin is overseeing practices so my humiliation is perpetual.

For all those days I prayed to whatever god would listen to see Phana again, I want to take it all back and leave this university; leave the moon and star competition and ultimately leave him......

... But that would be a lie. I could do everything else, but leaving him? After 5 years of loving him? Absolutely not.

And that's why although his behaviour is often baffling, I'm currently craning my neck to see over Ming's ginormous head at where he, Beam and Kit are currently sitting outside the training studio at past 8pm in the evening. Why are they still here? The instructors have indicated that tonight is going to be a long session because we're off to the beach for 2 days and Phana is, after 4 hours, still just sitting there. I know he hasn't eaten this evening and he must be bored...

"Just go and talk to him." Ming suggests.

I look down at Ming. I didn't think he was aware I was looking. "Why me?"

"Are you kidding me? Why the hell would I talk to him? Stop being a chickenshit and go already." He pulled me up from my sitting position and pushed me towards the gaggle of sophomore men who crowded around the bench outside.

I hate this. These guys were last years moon contenders as well as Kit and Beam. Just an assemblage of the best looking guys in the whole university... And I was walking straight for them. What am I doing?

Kit announced my approach. Thanks for that! Thought you were a friend.

"Who are you here for?" He teased.

The group heckled me as I stood refusing to make eye contact with any of them.

"Decided yet?" One guy I didn't know asked me.

"Flirting with anyone now? Even a guy?" His friend asked my interrogator.

"Why not? He's cute."

"I'll tell your girlfriend about this."

Just kill me now!

They squabbled and laughed whilst I just stood in front of Phana. I blanked it out and focused on the attractive sight before me. God this man is just delicious. An absolute moron... But delicious.

"P'Pha..." I started, getting back a modicum of courage whilst surrounded by wolves. I thought I said it quietly enough that only he would hear, but I wasn't so lucky. The teasing continued...

"Whoa!!! Pha... You bastard."

"How can a moon from agriculture compete with the campus moon?"

"Nong Yo... You break my heart."

They snickered and slapped each other raucously and only quietened down when Phana snapped at them.

"What's up?" He turned, asking me softly.

"Errrr..." I couldn't actually articulate my thoughts when Pha was not scolding or berating me. "Are you hungry?"

"Me?"

"Yes, you."

"I am hungry." He finished.

This man is so frustrating.