Chapter 25 - The One When Ming Wins

So, I apologise for the length of this chapter, which is just under 7,000 words. I needed to include Ming's view of the pageant as well as his date with Kit. Enjoy!

Ming's POV

I can't believe I just did that!!

I just went out on stage... With a spray tan and tiny shorts and jumped around and kicked one of my fellow SOTUS colleagues, in demonstration of Muay Thai.

I'm sweating and I'm not sure if it's the physical exertion or the nerves but after three minutes, all I want to do is shower, but I can't. We have to go on stage in our 'talent' outfits to collect roses for the popular vote and that doesn't happen until everyone has done their bit. I have to do something though as if I don't stop this perspiration running down my neck and chest, then if nothing else, it's going to streak my tan and I can't have that!

I jog off stage to thunderous applause which does admittedly make my head swell a little.

Yo is standing on the stairs that lead to the platform and he's beaming at me and clapping his hands like a seal.

"You were sooo good!!" He says enthusiastically.

Not only am I sweating, but I'm also out of breath so I stop alongside Yo clutching at my knees.

"It's crazy out there, Yo!" I wheeze. "The spotlights are so warm and bright. I could barely see anyone in the audience but do you hear that? There's so many people out there..."

Yo rests his hands on my back and I turn my head towards him to see him retract his palm with a look of disgust.

"Yeah, well the sweat don't lie I guess. You are drenched. It really must be warm out there." He reaches for a towel that was dropped over the shoulder of a passing senior and wiped his wet and slightly orange palms across it, leaving a stain. "And you got the spray tan I see..."

I stood up and laughed at the look on his face which was a mixture of distaste and admiration. I don't think he really believed I would go through with allowing the make-up artists to apply it to my virtually naked body. I have to admit that I think they enjoyed administration of the bronzing lotion more than I did, but needs must. I would have looked very pasty out there otherwise!

Yo jumps out of his skin as his name is called out ushering him onto the stage to perform his act. He gives me an apprehensive look and I give him a double thumbs up and push him onto the platform.

He walks out of the shadow and in to the light that floods his set. A large piano and stool are prepared just for him. He smiles as he approaches his seat and I genuinely think he might pee his pants. I've never seen him as nervous as he is now.

I can just make out his slightly trembling form as he settles and I'm surprised that he makes a little speech about love before he even sets his hands on the ivory keys. His voice is strong and composed; not at all as I'd expected given his shaky ascent to the stage.

I lean on the wall which is very cool to the touch on my bare back, ensuring I can still see and hear Yo from my position. He has started to play the piano and the music is joined flawlessly by his own singing voice which is also unwavering and tuneful. Who would have known that my little buddy could sing like this? Certainly not me but I guess he barely says a word, so singing as beautifully as he is was unexpected.

I find my self swaying on my feet to the music as well as listening intently to the lyrics. Yo is certainly making a statement with this song and it's most certainly about his love for Phana. From my place backstage, I can't make out any of the members of the audience but Yo did say something about telling Phana to listen so I certainly hope he's there and is listening to this.