Chapter 22 - The One When Everybody's Nervous

Phana's POV

I hate school!

I hate long, boring, ass lectures. I hate classes that start at the ass crack of dawn. I hate labs that finish several hours after every one else gets to leave and I hate tests and quizzes that occur virtually every day meaning that there is always revision and studying to do every night.

And although I ace every test and quiz, and I'm rarely late to class or turn down a lab, I am not appreciating just how busy I am and how busy I'm going to remain, probably for the rest of my life. I like my bed too much to be a doctor.

Right now, my education is keeping me from spending time with Yo but, in all honesty, he's pretty busy himself given that tomorrow is the moon and star pageant.

If he's not practicing the dance numbers, he's honing his piano playing skills for the talent part of show and over the past 3 nights, we've been leaving the studio later and later as he's intent on putting in as many hours as possible into his private rehearsals.

It's the reason why I'm virtually asleep with my head propped up by my arm whilst sitting on the outskirts of the medical faculty cafeteria. A perfectly angled slap to the side of my head jostles me from my nap.

"Ai'Pha! What the hell, man? Wake up!"

I straighten up but still keep my eyes closed. I can hear low chuckles from across the table and I slowly open one eye at a time to see my so-called friends staring at me.

"I need your notes from the anatomy lecture." Kit states with his hand outstretched in my direction.

I stare from his hand and back to his face.

"I barely took any. I was dozing in that class." I say, folding my arms on the table in front of me and laying my head within them. Beam, Kit and I have yet another quiz after lunch and the two of them are trying to cram.

Cramming isn't my style. I reckon that I either know the answers or I don't and trying to get several hours worth of lesson content into my head 45 minutes before the quiz isn't going to serve any purpose at all. Right now, sleeping is the only thing that's going to do me and my quiz score any good, so closing my eyes again is my most immediate plan of action.

"Why are you so tired?" I can hear Beam's inquisitive voice cutting through the silence. "Pillow talk with Yo is it?"

My head whips up and I narrow my eyes at him. His own are sparkling with mirth below dancing eyebrows. I hear Kit snort beside him and I glare at him too.

"I have been with Yo for the last couple of nights until the early hours but for 90% of the time, there has been sound proof doors and walls between us." I advise with just a hint of sarcasm in my voice.

They look at me curiously. "Huh?" asks Kit.

"He's practising.... For the pageant. He won't let me hear him play the piano so I take him to my uncle's place in the evenings but I have to sit outside." I prop my head up again as I explain Yo and I's arrangement.

"And how long do you sit outside?" Beam canvasses.

I shrug. "I dunno. 3 or 4 hours. Something like that."

"3 or 4 hours?!!" Beam and Kit say simultaneously.

"And you've been doing this the last few nights..." Kit challenges, his eyes wide with interest, "... Even though we've not been getting out of labs until close to 9pm?"

Beam's expression is identical to Kit's. "So does that mean that you're not getting to your room until 1am?"

"That's about the size of it." I answer.