Chapter 16 - The One Where Phana Begins His Pursuit of Wayo

Phana's POV

Yo: Fuck You, P'Pha!

Well, that's just charming! 

If that message was from anyone else or in any other situation, I would have been ready to separate the senders' teeth from their mouth. But, in this circumstance, I smiled longingly and perhaps even a little creepily at my phone.

Yo had replied to me after I sent him a picture of the note I'd been carrying for just over a year; essentially confirming that I knew. I knew he had feelings for me. I knew he had wanted to confess those feelings and I knew he had heard me spout absolute garbage about only liking girls.

And I might be smiling, but I can feel the anger in that response. I had to bribe him to come back to me as I flooded his phone with texts and this initial reply was to curse me.

I can understand why. After all, I'd been a jerk for the past two weeks as well as kept the fact that I knew of his feelings for me a secret.

It wasn't a secret anymore. As well as sharing his note with him, I also reminded him that I knew his full name and even what class he was in at school. I thought this would have been enough of a prompt to get him to speak to me... But still he was silent. It may have been only about 30 seconds that I let the messages go un-replied to, but I was anxious and impatient. My next message had demanded he not ignore me otherwise I would read the note out at the pageant.

I never would. That note is for our eyes only but I needed to incite him to communicate with me and the threat of exposure had worked.

Well, he swore at me. It was better than nothing.

The resultant conversation was in earnest. I asked him why he hadn't handed me the note himself and why he had run away; he asked me why I'd said something as stupid as 'I only like girls'... And it was an excellent point, very well made. I was only partially truthful with my reply. It was true that I thought Beam and Kit would tease me if they thought I liked a boy, but at the time it was more than that. It wasn't just what my friends had thought - but what the whole school would have thought of me.

As I was to find out later, Beam and Kit had already guessed that I was infatuated with him so ultimately didn't care; I wouldn't see 99% of my high school classmates ever again so I needn't have worried about their opinion on the subject and all my outburst served to do was to keep Yo away from me for a year.

Well, that stupidness stops right here!

I had told Yo that he was eating with me tonight when we got back to campus. He had deftly skirted around a response to that message so, to ensure he couldn't get away from me, I told Beam to floor it, trying to catch up to all of the vehicles that had left the resort a good 10 minutes before we had.

Beam had peaked an eyebrow at me via the rearview mirror and Kit had fully turned in his seat to peer at me around the headrest of his seat. Although I was restless about seeing Yo, preferably in the next five minutes, nothing could remove the grin plastered to my face at the thought of finally having that boy be mine.

"Asshole... Why are you smiling like that?" Beam met my eyes. "It's creepy."

I smiled even wider if that was possible. "Yo... He replied to my messages. It's so cute."

Both of the front seat passengers, joined me in smirking in amusement.

"Getting into a relationship via text message?... Classy!" Kit added, chuckling.

"Nope." I said, popping the P. "Not yet."

"What are you waiting for?" Kit whipped around to eyeball me again.