-3- Porcelain skin

-3- Porcelain skin

Zhan and Yibo swam next to each other for a while when Zhan suddenly noticed something or rather a question came to his mind. He stopped and looked at Wang Yibo's face closely. "Not that I mind you looking at me like that, but is there a reason?"

"Mn. I have a question."

"What question?"

"You were worried about my fair skin. You have a skin that looks like porcelain, how do you manage that? I mean, you're out here all day, how can your skin not get any darker?"

On the watchtower, I'm in the shade all day, so I can't get any darker. I also use good sunscreen."

"Ah, I see."

"Well, you really think my skin looks like porcelain?"

"Yeah, kind of."

"But it's not porcelain. If you want, you're welcome to touch them."

"Um, no, thanks. No need for that."

"Come on my bunny, touch me."

"I said I don't want to."

Yibo swam right in front of Zhan and grabbed Zhan's hand. He smiled and then reached out and put Zhan's hand to his cheek. "How does that make you feel, Bunny?"

"Cold and wet." Zhan replied dryly.

"That's all?"

"What else could there be?"

"Well, for example, whether it feels soft or rough."

"You know yourself that your skin feels soft. Then why should I have to confirm it?"

"Hey, I just wanted to hear some sweet talk from my future husband."

"Oh, man, not again. You know, we two can be friends. But only if you stop teasing me."

"Friends? That's not enough for me. At least not for long. And who said I was trying to tease you?"

"How else can I take it when you call yourself a future husband of mine? How can I take you seriously?"

"Listen, Zhan, I have no experience with flirting myself. But I'm trying my best. And all I can say is, I really like you, even if you don't believe me." Answered Yibo.

Zhan wanted to say something, but before he could, Yibo said, "It's better if I go home now. My parents are probably already wondering where I am, they always worry quickly. Bye, Zhan."

Why did Zhan suddenly feel guilty and feel that he had done something wrong to Yibo? He watched Yibo as he left the pool over the border, took his clothes and left.

Zhan swam slowly to the pool steps and left. He went to the watchtower and dried himself while Yibo did not want to get out of his head. That sad and disappointed look from him that Zhan never expected.

"My little brother is always straight ahead, it takes some time to get used to. He may not seem like it, but he's actually very sensitive." Said the lifeguard who just came down the stairs to Zhan.

"I have no problem with straight ahead. But I don't like being fooled."

" Fool with what?"

"Well, pretending to like me and calling me his future husband over and over again."

"My little brother did that? Wow, he must be very serious about you. All I can tell you is, he doesn't say anything he doesn't mean. He is bad in hiding his feelings."

"I saw him for the first time this morning, how could he like me? He doesn't even know me."

"Do you think the heart cares whether it knows someone or not? Yibo has always said that one day he will meet someone he falls in love with at first sight. And it looks like he was right."

"In love? I can't believe it."

"He gave you his shirt. His name is embroidered on it, it is his favourite shirt and nobody else is allowed to touch it, but he gives it to you. Just think about it."

"Um, anyway. I should be going slowly too. See you." Said Zhan, waving to Yibo's brother once more and then went back to his place to pack his blanket and all the other things. He wondered if he could leave the parasol there, or if he should bring it away?

Zhan tried to lift the parasol, but failed miserably. He looked at the bracket and wondered if the stand was made with concrete. Because he couldn't lift that thing an inch. "Just leave it there, I'll put it away later." Yibo's brother called to him. Zhan nodded, took his backpack and then slowly walked towards the exit.

When Zhan was back home, he was still thinking about Yibo and wondering if he really could have hurt his feelings? Or did Yibo and his brother just want him to think that?

Zhan unpacked his backpack and suddenly held his black new shirt in his hand, and only then did he notice that he was still wearing Yibo's shirt. He took off his shirt and went with it to the washing machine, he was annoyed that he didn't have more clothes to wash. But somehow it had suddenly become very important to him to wash the orange lifeguard shirt and put it on again tomorrow.

While Zhan was preparing some new snacks for tomorrow, he was waiting for the washing machine to be finished. He was glad that it is still so warm in the evening and at night. Because this way the shirt can dry overnight and he can put it on again tomorrow.

Moreover, he also thought about how to make Yibo happy again, just in case he really hurt the feelings of the lifeguard. What could he do to make Yibo happy again?

When he had finished preparing his snacks, the washing machine had also been finished. He hung the shirt on the clothesline on the balcony and when he went back to his living room, his eyes fell on the old sewing machine, which he once got from his grandmother.

In a hurry, Zhan ran into his bedroom and looked for a blank shirt from his wardrobe. He had three different ones to choose from, a light grey, a black and an apple green. He decided on the latter, then ran back into the living room with it, set up his sewing machine and started sewing two words on the apple-green shirt. "White Bunny."

He didn't know why he made such an effort and why it was suddenly so important to him to make Yibo happy with it. But he knew that he wanted to apologize to Yibo in case he hurt his feelings. He had also made some snacks for the lifeguard, which he will certainly enjoy.

However, Zhan also wondered if he would make himself ridiculous with this gift and could even summon up the courage to give Yibo the shirt. And what will Yibo think of him then?

Since all this speculation didn't help him and he would not get an answer, he packed his backpack for the next day, with the shirt for Yibo, and then went to bed. But it took him quite a while to fall asleep. Because he constantly asked himself if Wang Yibo could really be serious about him? Was there any chance that Yibo might really like him? Or was it all just a trick to lure Zhan out of his reserve, like his classmates did when they found out that Zhan had confessed his feelings to the popular Yuan.

Again and again they tried to trick him. They wrote letters and signed them with Yuan, they threw them into Zhan's locker and laughed him out when he read another one of their fake letters and wondered if it might be real. At some point Yuan yelled at these students and Zhan thought he was doing it for Zhan. But instead, Yuan said: "I am embarrassed enough that a boy has confessed his feelings to me. I don't want to be reminded of it again and again by you idiots. So stop writing those fucking letters. Before he really thinks I'm into him." For Zhan it was like a slap in the face, a punch in the stomach and a kick in the butt at the same time.

Since then, he had only doubt inside himself and no more trust. That's why he finds it so hard to believe Wang Yibo.