-25- The little calf

Since Zhan was finally healthy again, but was still on sick leave for two more days, he and Yibo decided that it was time for Yibo to finally meet Zhan's parents. Although they have talked on the phone a lot in the past weeks, they have never seen each other. Apart from the video calls, of course.

Yibo's parents have taken extra time off for this and Hai Kuan, who also cannot work as a lifeguard at the moment and therefore works in his parents' supermarket, too. And so they all met on Thursday morning at Zhan and Yibo's apartment, had breakfast together in peace and quiet and then set off. Zhan and Yibo in one car, Yibo's parents and his brother in the other.

During the long drive, in which Yibo kept asking Zhan if they were about to arrive, Zhan explained to him how his parents came up with the idea of running an organic farm one day. But Zhan soon realized that Yibo didn't listen to him at all and was much too excited. Smiling, he then said: "Yibo, my parents are very nice people, you talked to them a lot, so don't be nervous.

"I am nervous, though. I am meeting my in-laws for the first time. Besides, they told me on the phone last night, they want to see if I'm a real man and good for anything." Said Yibo with eyes wide open.

Zhan had to laugh when he saw Yibo's gaze and said, "They'll make you work on the farm. For them you are a welcome free helper. Believe me when I tell you, they have already accepted you."

"I've never worked on a farm before. Wait a minute, I've never even been at a farm. Do you think I can do this? What if I make a fool of myself there?"

"Yibo, honey, calm down. It's going to be okay. I'll be with you the whole time and we'll do it together. Let me show you how to do it. Besides, they won't allow us to do anything that we can't do right anyway. I suppose they'll let us help with the animals or the harvesting. And you can't make a fool of yourself in the process."

"I hope so. I don't want to be the son-in-law that everybody's going to laugh at." Yibo replied thoughtfully.

After another half hour of driving, Zhan pointed to a large field and told Yibo they were almost there. Yibo stared at the huge field and wanted to lower the window to get a better view. And he told Zhan that he had heard that the country air was the best. But Zhan warned him and told him it was better to keep the window closed. But Yibo wouldn't listen and as soon as the window was open a crack, Yibo turned up his nose in disgust.

"What the hell is that infernal smell?" Yibo asked in horror and covered his nose.

" Close the window again, Yibo. And yes, that is your good country air." Zhan laughed out loud.

Yibo quickly closed the window again and took the scented tree to smell of it. "And it always smells like this? How is that healthy?" He asked Zhan.

"It doesn't always smell this way. Some fields are being prepared now. They take liquid manure and spread it on the fields. And this liquid manure smells so bad." Zhan explained.

"I have no idea what liquid manure is, but like the stink, I doubt it's nothing good." Said Yibo and shook himself.

"It's not good for you, but it's good for the fields. And liquid manure is what is also known as animal dung."

"You're kidding me, right, ZhanZhan?"

"No, I'm not. You should see the house right now." Zhan said, pointing to the right.

Just a moment later, the big farmhouse was visible. Yibo stared at it with his mouth wide open. They drove up the path to the house, what Zhan always called a ranch, and then stopped in front of the barn. Shortly after, Yibo's parents and his big brother arrived.