-16- I have told you

Zhan watched the Yibo hastily grabbed one of the two slices of watermelon and immediately started eating it. The juice of the watermelon ran down his mouth, just like it was back then. Zhan took a serving and wiped Yibo's mouth with it after he ate his melon.

Yibo looked at Zhan in confusion and said, "Besides my parents, only one other person did that."

"Well, who?" Asked Zhan, pretending he didn't know.

"Haven't you figured it out yet?" Yibo wanted to know.

"What do you mean?"

"The boy with the watermelon in front of your grandfather's bookstore?"

"Did you dream that?" Asked Zhan. Could they really both have been reminded in their dreams that they've met before?

"What dream? I knew who you were almost all along. At first I wasn't sure, because it was too long ago. After all, 20 years. But then when I saw you for the second or third time, I knew that only you could be the boy I met when I wanted to look at the many colourful books in the shop window. My parents had forbidden me to go into the bookstore with the watermelon, so I just wanted to look inside from the outside. But then there was you, ZhanZhan."

"So it's really you and it wasn't just a dream." Zhan said and was amazed, even though he knew it was really Yibo.

"No, not a dream. I mean, we have met before. Even if only briefly. But I thought about you for a long time. I told you, when I grow up I will marry you."

" How did you come up with that? Was it your age?"

"Ha ha, no. I heard my mother talking on the phone once, and she kept talking about good marriage partners. When she was done talking on the phone, I asked her what good marriage partners were. And since I was so young and the only way she could explain it to me, she said a good marriage partner is someone who also takes care of you without you expecting or asking for it. Someone who wipes your mouth when you're dirty and smiles at the same time. A few days later I met you and I thought you were really cute then. But in a childish way. And when you wiped my mouth with a smile, I immediately thought that you were my good spouse. And inside I laughed at my mother, because she also told me it was hard to find someone like that."

"And even though it was so long ago, do you remember?"

"At first, I wasn't sure if it was really you. But then you told me about your grandfather and his bookshop. And then I was absolutely sure. I used to go to the bookstore a lot back then. I was sad that we never met again. Your grandfather always said that you hardly had time to visit him because of school and when you did, I was not there. I didn't understand it at first. But when I went to school myself, I knew what he meant. Suddenly I was at school all day and then it was all about learning. I couldn't go to my parents' grocery store every day either. And little by little the memory of you faded. But it was never gone."

"I had completely forgotten. In fact, I dreamt about this day earlier. In my dream I visited my grandfather in his bookstore and saw myself as a little boy wiping the mouth of another boy with a handkerchief, because it was full of watermelon juice. And the strangest thing was, in my dream my grandfather told my adult me, that it was you."

"Wow, either this was something very spiritual, or your subconscious was trying to find a way to remind you that we've met before." Yibo replied.

Zhan nodded. It might have been one or the other. He did not know what, but he was grateful for it. Because now he could remember again. And as for the two of them, it had been an important memory. Because that was the beginning of them both. And right then, Yibo started talking about getting married.

Yibo also ate the slice of watermelon from Zhan. And Zhan wiped his mouth again. Which, he discovered, happened automatically. As if he takes it for granted.

They sat down on Zhan's balcony and looked up at the night sky. It was a starry night and a lukewarm wind was blowing. Yibo laid his head on Zhan's shoulder, took Zhan's hand and held it tight. "I am glad I chose you." Yibo said softly.

Zhan could not help but giggle and asked: " Chosen? Like opening a catalog and picking something out?" And, of course, he wasn't serious about the question. But he thought it was funny.

"Hey, Bunny, don't be cheeky again. You know what I mean."

"Cheeky? Who's being cheeky?"

"Always the one who asks stupid questions." Yibo responded laughing.

Zhan couldn't deny how much he enjoyed being with. Yibo This had been a beautiful day for him. He built a cave out of blankets for the first time in his life. Yibo explained why he wanted to wait with the next step and it touched Zhan very much. And he got back an important memory concerning him and Yibo. And now they were sitting on the balcony, holding hands and looking up into the night sky. He could not imagine anything more beautiful at the moment.

"ZhanZhan?"

" Yeah?"

"You know what I think?"

"No, what is it?"

"I think we were meant to meet then and now. I believe our love is our destiny. And if we'd stayed in touch then, who knows, maybe we'd be married already."

"Well, who knows. Maybe you're right." Zhan replied. Actually, Zhan was nobody who ever believed in anything like destiny. But since he met Yibo and fell in love with him, he wasn't sure if there was such a thing as destiny. Especially now that he has his memory back.

"I believe this is true ZhanZhan. Our first meeting was not a coincidence, nor was the second. And then, like now, I want to marry you. And I thought you were cute then and I think you're even cuter now. And, I'm handsome, so you're making a good catch with me. On top of that, I'm a lifeguard and I save lives, so I'm actually useful."

"You don't have to advertise yourself anymore, Yibo. I've already chosen you." Zhan replied laughing.

Yibo turned Zhan's face to him and kissed him. "I just don't want you to forget why you love me."

"Yibo, I love you for yourself, not because you look hot or save lives."

"Oho, ZhanZhan. You just said I look hot."

"Um, you know what I mean."

" Mmm, my ZhanZhan tells me he loves me for my character and thinks my body is hot."

"Wang Yibo!"

"Xiao Zhan!"

"Stop that Yibo."

"Just wait and see. Once you and I are married, you can have my hot body. And I' II eat you up every day."

"Every day? Isn't that too much?"

"Every day means every day, and it's not at all too much."

"We'll see."

"Yes, exactly. You'll see." Said Yibo and gave Zhan a big kiss on the forehead.

They sat on the balcony for another hour. It was already two o'clock in the night when they went back to the living room and decided to spend the night in their cave, built with blankets.

They cuddled up together in the cave and listened for a while to the second audio book that Zhan had turned on. The speaker told them about the author's journey to and through Ireland. He spoke about the landscape and the people. About the myths and superstitions that have existed since then, and still exist today among many inhabitants of Ireland. He talked about rituals that took place back then and about the Modern Ireland.

But Zhan and Yibo didn't hear much about it. As soon as they lay in the cave and embraced each other, they fell asleep. And this time Zhan was not dreaming of the past, but of his possible future with Yibo. About how it would be once the two of them were married and how many adventures together could still lie ahead. It was a beautiful dream.