-17- Yibo's Friends (Part 1)

Actually, Yibo and Zhan had planned to spend the Monday as a relaxed day only for two. But, since neither Zhan nor Yibo can sit still and do nothing for long. So Yibo suggested they could give in to the urging of Seungyoun, Yibo's best friend, and meet him and his boyfriend. But, was this really a good idea?

If Zhan was honest, he didn't feel like wasting one of his precious vacation days with Yibo's friends. He would have much rather spent the day alone with him. After all, they could have done something as a couple. And that's what Zhan thought, when he told Yibo, that he didn't mind just sitting around doing nothing.

But when Yibo looked at him with that sweet, proud look when he told him about his friends and how much his best friend would be happy if they would do something together, Zhan couldn't refuse his wish and agreed. But he did not like it. Because Zhan is not one of those people who can easily approach strangers and talk to them immediately.

The view of three hours in the climbing hall and afterwards visiting the mostly crowded city park did not make it easier for him. But he told himself that he would have to get to know them anyway at some point. So why not on this day?

When they arrived at the climbing hall at 2 pm, Yibo and Seungyoun greeted each other as if they hadn't seen each other for years. Wooseok, Seungyoun's boyfriend and life partner shook his head over it but also greeted Yibo with a warm hug. Only Zhan stood a bit aside and was greeted with a nod of their heads.

The three men were already excited and looked forward to climbing, but Zhan was not. He had never been very sporty before and had always avoided sports that required physical strength whenever possible.

Zhan's mood was already dropping as the three men in front of him walked and talked excitedly while Zhan slowly followed them. They were almost in the hall when Yibo suddenly stopped to wait for Zhan. "ZhanZhan is everything all right? You don't look very happy right now."

"All is well. Go to your friends." Zhan replied unkindly.

"Why do you say that? Are you mad at me?" Yibo asked confusedly.

"No, I'm not mad at you." Zhan said, trying to smile. But that was a lie. Yibo and his friends made him feel like a third wheel. And it didn't look like it was going to get better when Yibo's friends called for Yibo and only Yibo.

But Yibo calmly walked next to Zhan and said, "If there is anything, please tell me. I don't want you to feel uncomfortable. We can both leave again if you'd prefer."

Zhan shook his head and said, "You only see them very rarely. So take advantage of the day with them. And if I don't feel like it anymore, I'll just go home and you can join me later."

" Forget it, ZhanZhan. If you go, then I'll go. I' m glad to see my friends. But only if you' re feeling well." Yibo replied.

Zhan was surprised to hear these words from Yibo and even believed them. But now he felt bad because he didn't feel well at all and just wanted to do Yibo the favor of meeting his friends and spending time with them. He didn't want to let it show what was really going on inside of him and so he tried to smile and then turned to Yibo's friends. But Yibo still looked at him with a thoughtful and worried look.

Yibo's look became even more worried when a third friend of him appeared. Seungyoun told him that he had called Li Wenhan, too, and so the friends would finally do something together again. What could Zhan have said? Hello, two friends were agreed upon, so send the other one away again? He would never have dared to say something like that.

Since Yibo and his friends already had experience in climbing, the employees only had to check out some equipment when they put it on themselves. Zhan stood aside with another employee and she explained the basics to him and how he should behave if he slipped and fell.

"You don't really feel like climbing at all, do you?" The employee asked him as she followed his gaze.

"Not really. Not if I make a fool of myself in front of them." Zhan replied, annoyed.

"We can go to another wall where you can practice unobserved for a while." She explained.

Zhan looked at Yibo and his friends who had already started to climb the wall. "They are not even waiting for me." Zhan muttered angrily. Then he looked at the employee and said, "All right, let's go."

They went into a smaller hall where Zhan could practice climbing. And to his amazement, he was really good at it. He looked proudly at the employee and she said, "You're doing really well. Go on. Obviously your anger helps. "

He thought so, too. He was angry and that anger gave him strength. And so he climbed the beginner's wall three times in less than 30 minutes. The employee led him to a more difficult wall, and even that was no problem for Zhan. And finally he was ready for the wall on which Yibo and his friends tried their hand.

Zhan and the employee went a little bit off the others. She explained Zhan some more holds and tricks and he was ready. He went up to the wall and climbed it. Bit by bit he climbed it up and did even better than Yibo and his friends. At least that's what the colleague of the employee said.

As Zhan climbed down, he and the employee fell into each other's arms, cheering. At that moment Yibo almost jumped off the wall and rappelled down. He came towards Zhan and didn't look at him very friendly right now.

"What's the matter?" Asked Zhan as the employee went to get some water.

"Why are you two hugging? What are you doing?" Asked Yibo angrily.

"That was just because I was so happy I managed to make the wall. She helped me all the time and I was just so happy, that I hugged her."

"Then can't you hug me instead?"

"How? You've been busy."

"Still. We're a couple, you shouldn't just hug any girl. And I could have taught you how to climb."

"Oh yeah? When the employee explained the basics to me, you were already hanging on the wall with your friends. You didn't even wait for me. So don't tell me you could have taught me." Zhan replied angrily.

"I apologize for that. I thought you'd come to us right after the instruction. Then I would have come straight to you."

"Yibo, what does it matter now? She took me to another hall so I could practice first. And since you didn't show up, I assume you either didn't notice my absence or didn't care. But, right now, I don't care. Because I'm just glad I managed to climb that wall. So, please, don't make a fuss and let's have a nice day."

Zhan could see that Yibo didn't feel like pretending, he wasn't angry. Still Yibo nodded and hugged Zhan. Then Yibo said, "I'm sorry, ZhanZhan. I'm happy for you that you managed the wall."