-22- Stars in the Universe

POV YIBO

Yibo has been tossing and turning through several books in Zhan's bookstore for days. Since Tuesday he could go back to work in the water park and right after his work, he didn't go home, each time he went to Zhan's bookstore. Which had several reasons for Yibo.

Firstly, he missed Zhan terribly and didn't want to wait until late in the evening to see Zhan again and they will only have a little time together and secondly, this one colleague of Zhan was a thorn in his side. Again and again this Guo Zifan is always trying to get close to Zhan, talks to him a lot and touches his arm again and again. Yibo absolutely had to stop this. And that only works if he is there.

And besides that, he could earn some money at the same time. Because of the many downtimes in the water park, many days when it rained, he couldn't work and therefore doesn't get paid for these days, his salary for this month was minimized considerably. So it's good that he can earn a little extra money at the bookstore while keeping an eye on Zhan.

Yibo had read through many books about saving lives. He also learned about other methods of life saving that he had not learned. But he also read secretly in a few other books. Books about love and the way a perfect marriage proposal should look like. But none of these supposedly perfect proposals really pleased Yibo.

So Yibo decided he would find the right words for a proposal on his own and maybe he would write a book about it. For people who can't afford an expensive restaurant, a violin player and don't want the expensive ring to end up in the stomach of the person who is to get the proposal. And he wouldn't fall back on that kitschy stuff where hundreds of balloons are flying into the air while somewhere music is playing and cheering spectators are standing around them. He told himself, Zhan is an adult man who likes simplicity and is very well-read, he needs something simple but also romantic.

So for a week Yibo wrote down all his ideas in a small notebook and reformulated his marriage proposal over and over again until he thought it was perfect now. Now all he had to do was memorize these words and recite them to Zhan. But just the thought of it made his heart beat almost to his throat.

And Yibo needed one more thing. A ring! Without a ring, he can't propose to Zhan. But so far he hadn't found a ring that matched. Well, until he went online to a site that sells engagement and wedding rings. And he found what he thought was the perfect ring.

Actually, it's a simple silver ring. But it's finely engraved with diamond dust. So that the ring sparkles and glitters when light shines on it. And although the ring was even more expensive than he intended to pay, he immediately struck and bought it. Only two days later the ring arrived and Yibo couldn't wait to see it on Zhan's finger.

Yibo's plan was that he would propose to Zhan when both families came together and got to know each other. But this plan was quickly discarded when he watched a movie with Zhan and in this movie the man proposed to the woman in the presence of both families. And Zhan just shook his head and said that this situation would be very uncomfortable for him and he would have a hard time to be happy about the proposal because he would be constantly looking out for the people around him.

And when Yibo thought about it in such a way that he would be the one to propose and also feel uncomfortable when everyone is staring at him, he decided he would propose to Zhan when they were both alone. He would prepare dinner at home, of course he wouldn't cook it himself, because he can't do that. He would put up candles, turn on soft music, and once they had eaten, he would propose to Zhan.

That night was right here, right now. Yibo figured out why Zhan needed to leave the apartment again. And he had to stay away for about an hour. So he asked Zhan to go to his parents for him and pick up his last two boxes. Not that there's anything important in them that he really wants. But he could make sure that Zhan would be out of the house for at least an hour.

Yibo had already ordered the food in advance and luckily it arrived on time. He set the table in the kitchen, put up the candles he had especially bought after work and put a CD into the stereo, with quiet sounds. Then he drew the curtains, switched off the light and waited for Zhan to come back after almost an hour and a half. Yibo knew that his mother wouldn't just let Zhan go right away. And inside, he scolded, because she surely dared to touch his Zhan again.

When Zhan entered the apartment, he left the boxes in the car, Yibo ran to him, covered his eyes and slowly led him into the kitchen where he showed Zhan what he had prepared especially for him. He brought Zhan to the kitchen table and sat down beside him. With a beating heart he ate the food he had ordered together with Zhan. And before they even finished the main meal, Yibo couldn't wait. 

Yibo got up, stood in front of Zhan, got down on his knees in front of him and held the small box with the ring towards him. "ZhanZhan, I promised you I would make you a real proposal. And today is the day. I have never been so excited and nervous in my life. I even spent days preparing for this evening and practicing my lines. Unfortunately I forgot it completely due to the excitement, so I have to improvise now, so don't be disappointed if it doesn't sound nice. When I first saw you, we were both still children. But I knew then that I wanted to marry you. And what was once childish talk is now 20 years later reality. And just like then, all I needed was a moment to know that I want to marry you. For me, there never has been and there never will be anyone else. I love you so dearly. I love you from here to the moon and back. Or no, my love is greater than the number of stars in the universe. It may sound kitschy, but that's how I feel about you. I don't just want to share the day and night with you, but I want to share my life with you, and I want it to last forever. So I ask you, will you share the rest of your life with me and marry me?"

Yibo was completely out of breath when he finished talking and he was angry that he had forgotten his perfect text. Now he hoped eagerly that Zhan would overlook the fact that the proposal sounded so kitschy and say yes.

Zhan squatted in front of Yibo, kissed him on the forehead and said: "I would very much like to share the rest of my life with you. I love you too and I don't want anyone else at my side but you. Yes, I want to marry you."

Yibo was so relieved that he kissed Zhan and then with a trembling hand he put the ring on his finger. And by candlelight, the ring sparkled and shone in many different colours. To Yibo, it looked perfect on Zhan's hand. Happily he held Zhan in his arms and at that moment he was probably the happiest man in the world. At least that's how he felt.

He could not explain why he fell in love with Zhan of all people. He just had to see him and his heart started racing. Suddenly all he could think about was sharing the rest of his life with this man. And for him it doesn't matter how short they have known each other and are a couple, because he knows that for him there can be no one else.