-23- Smoke column and fear

Zhan was sitting in his office and just sent off the new book order list. He was on early shift at the bookstore and his boss asked him to take care of the orders.

After he finished the orders, Zhan took his first break that day. It is already noon and to relax a little, he turned on the radio in the office.

The host was just reading the current news when Zhan's heart almost stopped when the host said, "There is still a huge cloud of smoke rising from the water park. The fire department has been on duty for more than two hours, but they just can't get the fire under control. Just recently some repair work was done in the indoor area and it should be officially reopened today. But shortly after the water park opened, a fire in the indoor area was reported. We'll keep you updated with any developments."

Zhan immediately grabbed his cell phone and tried to call Yibo, but without success. He tried three more times, but to no avail. Zhan panicked and he was scared. Because to celebrate the reopening of the indoor area, Yibo and Hai Kuan, along with three other colleagues were assigned to work in the indoor area today.

Again and again Zhan tried to reach his fiancé. He even took his cell phone into the customer area, which was actually forbidden. He turned on the TV and went to a news channel, which also reported about the fire. Video recordings of the burning indoor area and the large smoke column were shown over and over again and ran in the background.

Guests of the water park reported that shortly after the entry, suddenly a loud bang could be heard from the indoor area. And already in the next moment they could see the flames and the smoke. The fire chief said it was unclear whether guests or employees were in the indoor area at the time of the explosion. "We just can't get close enough to the building to check it out." Said the fire chief.

Zhan was just completely horrified to watch the video footage and hoped that Yibo and Hai Kuan were okay.

Again and again, Zhan told himself he had to stay calm, that Yibo was okay and he would come home safely. But when a police spokesman was giving a live interview, the camera was able to record how the roof of the indoor area collapsed. It just collapsed. Guests were screaming in shock and panic. Sparks flew through the air and the column of smoke became a whole wall.

The boss of Zhan, took him to the office where he told Zhan to stay. He gave Zhan a glass of water and lifted Zhan's legs. Zhan was in shock. He held his cell phone in his trembling hand and was unable to say anything. "I'm sure he's fine, Zhan. Don't worry." Said his boss. But Zhan only caught a glimpse of that.

Again and again he saw in his mind's eye how the roof collapsed and how suddenly all screams. When his cell phone rang and Yibo's mother panicked asking him if he had heard anything from Yibo and he had to deny it, he got very nauseous. To keep the lines free, they quickly ended the phone call again so Yibo could call him or his parents.

Shortly before Zhan's workday ended, he stood in the bookstore again and watched the TV. He didn't want to sit in the office and do nothing, he had to keep himself busy, until he finally got a message.

Just as the TV host was showing the pictures of the collapsing roof again, and Zhan wondered if anyone could even survive such a thing, the fire, smoke and collapsing roof, the door to the store opened. Zhan stared at the person with big eyes.

Yibo came running towards Zhan and held him tightly in his arms and with him was Hai Kuan. They both had some soot on their faces, but were unharmed. "ZhanZhan, I came as fast as I could." Said Yibo, holding Zhan tighter once more.

Hai Kuan said, "Yibo called me this morning and asked me to pick him up because his motorcycle was on strike. That made us a few minutes late for work. We were just entering the indoor area when we heard something crackling. We left immediately and luckily our colleagues were not in the hall yet. And as soon as we moved away a little, it banged really loud."

"Yes. And I had left my mobile at home. We took the guests outside and collected our colleagues. We were all standing on the parking lot where we waited for the police, fire brigade and ambulance. Unfortunately, none of us were allowed to leave because we had to give statements. Hai Kuan was not even allowed to take his cell phone out of his car. That's why I couldn't call you." Yibo explained.

Zhan handed Hai Kuan his cell phone and told him to call his mother to let her know that both are okay. Yibo continued to cling to Zhan and said, "I can't believe what happened today. Luckily, my bike wouldn't start and we were late."

Yibo looked at Zhan questioningly and immediately realized there was something wrong with him. Zhan could still feel Yibo lifting him up and started carrying him away when Zhan lost consciousness. Already in the morning, Zhan hadn't felt well, he complained of headaches and he was dizzy. Yibo told him to stay home and go to the doctor. But Zhan didn't want to stay home and instead went to work, against Yibo's will. And then there was the shock. Zhan couldn't cope with all this.

When Zhan regained consciousness, Yibo sat next to him and held his hand. It took him a moment to realize that he was in a hospital. "The doctor says you get an angina." Said Yibo, who saw Zhan's confused look.

"An angina?" Asked Zhan.

"Mm. Luckily I noticed in time that you were losing consciousness, or you would have just passed out at the store. And Bunny, you should eat more. You've lost weight. You're light as a feather." Said Yibo and stroked Zhan's cheek.

"I want to go home. And I haven't lost any weight. I can't even button my one pair of pants because you keep feeding me food."

"Apparently, I'm not feeding you enough. Cause you're just too light. The doctor also said you could use a few extra pounds of weight."

"Yibo, I don't plan on getting fat."

"I don't want you to get fat either. You just need to gain a little more weight. You also need more vitamins. The doctor said he'd prescribe something for that."

"I prefer fruits and vegetables."

"And you're still going to take the vitamins he prescribed, whether you like it or not. I want a healthy man by my side, so for once you'll listen to me and the doctor."

"But..."

"No but ZhanZhan. I love you and care about you, and if you love me too, you'll take vitamins for me."

"All right. I'll take them."

"You promise?"

"Yes, Yibo, I promise." Zhan replied, annoyed. But somehow he also thought it was sweet how Yibo worried about him.

Half an hour later, Zhan was discharged from the hospital. Yibo really wanted to carry him to the car. In the car, Yibo gave him a kiss before he started driving. And when they got home, Yibo had actually carried Zhan upstairs to the apartment and straight to bed. Even though it was a little awkward and embarrassing for Zhan, he was grateful to him because he knew that, if he had been alone, he would only have made it with much effort. Yibo is just the perfect man for him, Zhan thought, before closing his eyes and immediately falling asleep.