-9- Other than expected

Zhan and Yibo cooked together and sat together in the living room after dinner. While the two played cards, they talked about their school days and Zhan told Yibo why he always wanted to work in a bookstore.

"I have loved reading all my life. As soon as I could read, I always had a book in my hand. I have always loved the aroma of newly printed books, and a little bit it was my desire too, because my grandfather owned a bookstore back then. The shop was only small and didn't offer much choice, but there were always a lot of people coming and buying a book from him. Probably their favorite reason for coming was because my grandfather always had a cup of tea or coffee for his customers and told them many great and interesting stories. Stories that he had from books. I always had to stay with him in the shop during the holidays, because my parents had to work and could not afford a babysitter. So I spent a lot of time with my grandfather, his stories and the many books. At some point the desire arose in me to sell books as well. Actually, I had always imagined that I would take over the business from my grandfather. But after a mall opened with its own bookstore and a larger selection in the same street, my grandfather had to give up his shop."

"And your grandfather didn't want to open a new store somewhere else?"

Zhan shook his head. "No. He couldn't do that either. After closing his shop after more than 30 years, he was at the end of his rope. He suffered greatly and became ill. He died two years later."

"That's terrible."

"That's right. My mother always said it broke my grandfather's heart when he lost his shop and he gave himself up after that."

"My parents work in a supermarket as managers. They had a small grocery store back then. Then a businessman came along and bought up the land around their shop and tore it down bit by bit. At some point there were only two houses left, in one was my parents' shop and in the other there was a small restaurant. When the customers in the grocery store didn't show up because nobody came to this area anymore, my parents had to give up, too. And after the last two houses were torn down, too, a big supermarket was opened there. Also new bigger houses were built there. And my parents were lucky, because when they had to give up their shop, they promised to give them a good job in the new supermarket. Now together they earn more per month than they earned with their shop after deducting all bills. But it doesn't make them rich."

"My parents worked for a large corporation and earned well. But they lived very sparingly, because they always had the dream of their own organic farm. When I was a child I thought we were poor people and couldn't afford anything. But then I found out that my parents simply avoided any luxury so that one day they could fulfill their dream."

They talked about their families for quite some time and Zhan realized that Yibo is very different from what he thought at first. This crazy lifeguard isn't really crazy at all, but a lovable and good man. Even though, as Zhan discovered, you have to take your time to find out.

Zhan and Yibo were just about to watch a video when Yibo's cell phone rang. His brother called to inform him that their grandmother is in the hospital. Apparently she fell when she got out of the shower and slipped on the wet tiles.

Since Yibo was very worried about his grandmother, Zhan offered to drive him to the hospital. And they left immediately.

Three quarters of an hour later they arrived at the hospital. Zhan actually just wanted to drop Yibo off, but Yibo asked Zhan to accompany him. So he parked the car near the hospital and went with Yibo to the hospital.

After they found out the ward and the room number, they both went there. In front of the room stood Yibo's parents and his brother Hai Kuan. Yibo took Zhan's hand and held it tightly. "You're not gonna just turn around and run away, are you?" He asked.