† 20 †

donghyuck squirmed awake, feeling a soft breeze caressing his bare legs and his face.

keeping his eyes shut, he cuddled more into the warm figure that was holding him in a seated position. he didn't really know why he was sleeping in such a position, but right now, he didn't care, because he felt comfortable.

"hello sunshine." a deep voice – that he recognised to be mark's – said, making donghyuck widen his eyes immediately and back away in fear.

however, what he didn't know was that he was sitting on mark's lap, on a branch, meters up from the ground. thanks to his reflexes, mark caught donghyuck's arm before he could fall and pulled him back on his lap again effortlessly.

"be careful donghyuck. you almost died there." mark caressed donghyuck's back under his shirt, sending shivers down donghyuck's spine. the boy was still in his cat costume from the night before, and when he saw the way mark looked at him, he couldn't help but blush.

"my head hurts..." the tanned male pouted, rubbing his temples.

"that's surely because of this son of a bitch." mark mumbled earning a confused look from the younger. "you don't remember?"

"n-no..." donghyuck shook his head. "i just remember, you know... you and daniel... and then... nothing." donghyuck lowered his head, tears threatening to fall again when recalling the past events.

"well..." mark rested his hand on donghyuck's waist, holding him to prevent him from falling down. "some asshole drugged you. and he tried to sexually abuse you." mark explained slowly.

donghyuck let out a sob at mark's words.

mark immediately pulled him against his chest, caressing his nape in a soothing manner.

"w-what did i... what did i do to deserve this?" donghyuck sobbed. "my life is a mess... every time something good happens, something bad comes and crashes everything down!"

mark tightened his embrace around the boy's waist.

"sunshine, stop crying. i'm here now. you're safe." mark whispered in his ear, drawing random patterns with his fingers on his back in an attempt to calm the younger's ravaged breathing.

donghyuck's sobs stopped, and now, only small whimpers left his pinkish lips.

"look at me." mark ordered.

donghyuck pulled back from mark's chest, his hands still clutching on his shirt. mark lifted his head a bit so that donghyuck could look at him in the eyes and not try to avoid his eyes.

"hear me out donghyuck." mark said in a determined tone, eyes not leaving donghyuck's. "i promise i will never let anyone lay a single finger on you. you're too precious. i can't afford to see you hurt. i will fight for you donghyuck. i'll always be by your side to protect you. do you understand?" mark continued; his own eyes filled with compassion.

"b-but... why? w-why are you doing this mark?" donghyuck asked, tears falling from his eyes again.

"because i l- "

"mark? you're here?" a voice asked cutting mark in his sentence.

mark blushed, looking away from donghyuck. was he about to confess his love to donghyuck knowing that the boy's heart was a mess right now?