Chapter 26

Warnings: None
————————————————————————
Recap:

In the ninety-first minute Jessica scores the last goal of the game and the stadium roars with cheers. The final whistle blows and everyone on the bench runs onto the field. I just sit in my wheelchair taking everything in, the crowd, the team, the field, literally everything.

I see Alex runs towards me, "NOOO, don't hug me, you're all sweaty," I say and she laughs.

"To bad," Alex says and hugs me.

I just groan. "Don't worry, this just means we can save water together later," Alex says when she pulls back with a smirk on her face.

My eyes widen and I slap her on the arm and she laughs. Alex pushes me onto the field so I can be with the rest of the team and so I can see the 99ers when they are called on.

This might be one of the best days of my life.
———
Present

Y/N's POV:

"I can't Dawn," I say as I try to take a step.

"Yes you can, Y/N. Come on," Dawn says standing ten feet away from me as I slowly step forward, "There you go, you got it."

My leg and arm have improved. I am able to use crutches now, so now I can move around by myself. Dawn has been trying to help me walk because I told her I wanted to surprise the team when they have their send off game.

Between the Belgium game and now the team has recorded all of the 23 Stories, played South Africa, played New Zealand, went to New York City for a surprise from Nike, and had their World Cup media day. Unfortunately I couldn't go to NYC or go with them for media day because I'm not part of the team, so Dawn put in extra sessions.

"Dawn, I can't do it," I say stopping a couple feet away from her.

"Yes you can, Y/N. I can see the fear in your eyes, I know your leg doesn't hurt right now, you are just scared," Dawn tells me and I look at her with hesitation.

I take a deep breath and start walking again. After a couple steps I collapse in Dawn's arms and she holds me. "See, I knew you could do it," Dawn says as she picks me up and sits me on a chair.

I sigh once I'm on the chair. "The team is on their way back to the hotel from training. Do you want to take an ice bath for your legs before they get back," Dawn asks as she gets the recovery things set up.

I look at her contemplating if I want to or not. I don't verbally answer and just nod. "What's wrong kid," Dawn asks me as she sets up the ice bath.

"Nothing," I say as I grab my phone off the table next to me.

Dawn just shakes her head, she knows not to push me. "Alright kid, put the phone down," Dawn says as she walk over.

I place it down and wince a little when she picks me up, I'm really sore from all the physical therapy sessions. Dawn gently places me in the bath and I shiver as I start to submerge myself into it. I close my eyes and hear Dawn walk away.

After a few minutes I hear multiple people talking down the hall and I know it's the team. I feel arms wrap around my shoulders and I open my eyes to come face to face with Alex. "Hey," she says with a smile.