Chapter 34

Warnings: None
————————————————————————
Recap:

"Am I doing the right thing?"

"About what," Alex asks confused.

"With Hartley? I know it's not her fault, but there's just this feeling inside of me," I say.

"Is it jealousy," Alex asks as she lays down.

I nod and Alex sighs. "I think that you two need to talk. You know it isn't Hartley's fault, she had no idea. She is only sixteen and what it's like now is not the same as it was when we were sixteen."

"That was only thirteen years ago," I say and look at Alex.

"And the amount of things that have happened in the past thirteen years have involved a lot of change," Alex says.

I sigh and look up at the ceiling. "I think you should give her a chance," Alex says and I look at her, "Give her a chance like you gave me a chance."
———
Present

Y/N's POV:

Today is the day, June 20th. We are playing Sweden today and it is Hartley's birthday. I picked the bracelets up yesterday so I am prepared. Right now I am on the bus with the team on our way to the stadium. Alex has her earbuds in and her head is resting on my shoulder.

When we arrive at the stadium I grab Alex's hand and place a kiss on it. She smiles at me and gets of the bus along with the rest of the team. Once I get off security brings me to the family and friends section. I say hi to Alex's family when I get there and decide to sit with the O'Hara family for today's game.

"Hey, guys," I say when I get to Kelley's parents.

"Hi, sweetheart," Kelley's mom says as she and her husband hug me.

"Erin and Jerry can't be here today," I ask as we sit down.

"Not today, they will be here for the round of 16 though," Karen says and I nod.

After a few minutes of talking with Kelley's parents, the team heads inside the locker room. Fifteen minutes later both teams do the walk out and I smile when I see Alex as the captain. Both of the anthems are done and the teams get set on the field. Alex kisses her wrist and points at the sky and I do the same.

I see Kelley's parents looking at me, "What?"

"We just can't believe you two still do that after all these years," Karen says a smile and I chuckle.

Our attention is brought back to the field when the whistle is blown and the crowd cheers.

At the third minute we get a corner. Pinoe sends in a low ball right in front of the goal and it goes past everyone, but then Lindsey comes from around the top of the six and kicks it in the goal. I jump up along with the rest of U.S. fans. "YES LINDSEY," I scream as I celebrate.

At the twenty first minute one of the Sweden players makes a run into the box. She gets the ball, "Come on, Lyss," I whisper.

The player shoots and Alyssa saves it. "Oh thank you," I say and I hear Kelley's parents laugh at me.

Then at the thirty fifth minute Alex is taken down and I instantly stand up. Dan places a hand on my shoulder, "She's ok," he tells me but I keep my eyes on Alex.