CHAPTER THIRTY-ONE

UNIT 26

As if the world stopped, Naih couldn't believe the words. Yangyang spilled the news about her brother the moment she woke up from a deep slumber.

Literally frozen on her bed, Yangyang couldn't hide the worry as he's eyeing the unmoving Naih.

"Yangyang"

"Y-yes?"

"Punch me"

"Ehh!" His eyes widened at the sudden words.

Naih looked up to him with puffy red eyes.

"Bring me back to reality."

"But Naih, this is the real thing." he answered, trembling as he himself didn't know what to do.

This is big grieving news, and this is the very first time that he has encountered a leader breaking down.

"No, Minsook is not dead, and all of this is just a dream, so get here and wake me up."

Indenial—that's what Naih is now.

She's fully aware that she's not dreaming, but she keeps hypnotizing herself that she is.

Yangyang stood still in his spot, looking down as if he didn't want to obey his leader's words.

"Liu Yangyang, please."

Yangyang closed his eyes, took a deep breath, and walked closer to the girl.

With clenched fists, he saw Naih's lips pull a slight smile.

"Go on" she softly said.

"I'm sorry, princess." Yangyang mumbled and swung his fist, meeting Naih's cheek.

Her whole body dropped down. Her eyes closed, and tears started to break out.

Yangyang opened his strongly closed eyes and mentally cussed himself for punching Naih.

But instead of seeing a knife, he saw a grieving Naih.

Her left cheek is red because of the punch; the other is slightly pinkish because she is crying too much.

Naih can't get herself up. Her strength is gone; no, her world is cracked.

"I SHOULD'VE STAYED THERE! I SHOULD'VE SAVED HIM!" Naih yelled in pain, clenching her shirt.

"You're right, princess. There's a mole."

Naih laughed like the crazy woman she is, tears still flowing.

"I told him. I told dad about it, but he just said I'm crazy instead of believing me."

"I'm sorry if I didn't believe you that day, princess." Yangyang sat beside her.

With her hands on her shoulders, Yangyang slowly pulled her up. He gently placed her head on his shoulder, hands tucking her hair behind her ear.

He can't deny that his heart broke seeing Naih in this state. Sure, it's surprising for a cold, mean brat to break down like this, but she's a human too.

"I'm sure a bad sister, Yang. No, I'm the worst."

"It's not your fault, princess."

"IT IS! I even lied to him. I didn't tell him that I'm leaving to track and advance to Neo. I lied to him about hiding and changing my life! I'm the worst."

It was the day before the special event, and Naih was in her control room the whole day. She decided to leave to kill every Neo by herself. Live or die, she doesn't care.

Thus, she lied to her brother because she fully knew that he wouldn't let her.

"I bet he believed that I had already died. I didn't even tell them that I was alive."

Yangyang just stayed silent, shrugging off the fact that his own tears were forming. He just caressed her hair and lightly massaged her head from time to time, and it helped her calm down.

"Yang, you should go. They will take me anytime. I don't want to cause trouble for you too."

"Not a chance, princess. I'll stay here and protect you."

"No! You don't understand Yang. I believe that I'm their next target. Now that Minsook is dead."

Deeply sighing, Yangyang crouched down below her bed, cupping Naih's cheek to let her look at him.

He showed a warm smile and shook his head.

"I'm not a coward nor stupid to leave you here, especially in this state. Grieving or not, I'm going to stay here. I'm here to serve you, princess. It doesn't matter if you're always greeting me with curse words in the early morning or if you keep on pushing me because I'm so annoying. I'll do everything to keep you by my side. Until death hunts me, I'm here."

"YOU'RE MAKING ME CRY YOU IDIOT!"

His eyes widened at the sudden outburst, and Naih cried much louder and harder.

"Oh no, what did I do? Hey freak, stop crying."

"NOW YOU'RE CALLING ME A FREAK!"

"FLOWER! A BEAUTIFUL FLOWER SSHHH NAIH COME ON-OH"

Naih threw herself at him, making Yangyang fall on his back.

Naih wrapped her arms around the boy's neck, head-burying his chest.

Yangyang smiled and gently encircled his arms around the girl's waist, and he was sure that it made his heart skip a beat.