Calm Before The Storm

Patrick's POV
My left side was numb. I could feel everything on my right side, and I could hear everything perfectly. No one was in the room, but I could hear the familiar beep of a heart monitor. The one beeping in my ears when Pete was in this bed, not me. My eyes were open and I scanned the room.

I missed Summer, where was she?

Also, I missed Rose. A lot. I still was very in love with her, but I'm stupid. It was pretty ironic, thinking about it: Summer was a distraction.

Just like I was.

Summer was doing a pretty good job being my distraction though.

I was harsh on Rose, and I knew it. But I wouldn't be with Summer now if it wasn't for that.

I still missed my best friend.

Rose's POV
I woke up to the soft sound of snoring beside me, and my lips curled upward.

I turned to face the sleeping boy next to me.

How cute.

I blinked my eyes open, kissing Pete on the head.

I was wondering about Patrick, but I don't think I was ready for Pete to tell me exactly what happened just yet.

I hear a groan beside me and Pete's eyes flutter open.

Before I could say anything, his arms are around me and I relax.

I was also confused. I know Pete was into me, but what are we? I was ready to date him. It's been 8 years.

I didn't want to rush him into anything, but I just needed to know what I was to him.

"Pete?"

"Yes?"

"What am I to you?" I ask him, and his eyes reopen to look into mine.

"You're my best friend."

"Best friends don't kiss each other."

"You're a girl who I'm in love with. I don't want to fuck things up so for now you're my best friend."

My heart skipped a beat at the words "for now."

I sighed and nodded toward him, relaxing. I wanted to lay around all day with Pete, and he seemed to too.

We agreed on watching movies all day. I ordered a pizza, made popcorn, and got snacks for the both of us.

I brought them back to my bedroom and plopped down beside him, handing him the bowl of popcorn. I turn on an action movie.

****

My head is on Pete's shoulder, and I'm fixated on the movie.

The doorbell rings. Expecting it to be the pizza guy, I excitedly jump up and open it.

"Hi! Is Patrick here?" I hear that familiar overly-perky voice and that all too fake smile, and I knew I was in trouble.

---------------------------------------

Hi! Thanks for reading, guys. It means a lot! Love you all ❤️- Keri

Instagram: atavxnhalen
Twitter: ChefKholt