Sort of Sick | Part Six

The elevator came to a stop at the floor of the intern labs, and Peter watched as the doors opened. His eyes widened in surprise and horror as he saw that his entire class was packed in there with the tour guide, and he quickly turned his head away. He pulled the hood of his hoodie over his head, hoping that nobody would recognize him.

"And here we are, the intern labs! This is where the majority of the Stark Industries interns spend their time, working on the next technological breakthrough!" Shelley said, while Peter's class gazed around in awe. She pointed out the different sections of the big room, and Peter continued to panic as she led the class closer and closer to where he was pretending to work.

He turned around at the worst time and made eye contact with Shelley. He tried to show her that he didn't want her to mention him, but she interpreted his facial expressions as desire to be introduced.

"Oh, and this is one of the smartest people employed here at Stark Industries, Peter Parker!" She said, pointing him out. Reluctantly, Peter took off his hood and walked over to her and the class. 

"Peter? Peter Parker? The one that goes to our school?" A classmate said. It was clear that everyone in the class was rather shocked to see Peter there on the field trip (with the exception of Ned, of course.)

"That's me," Peter said. He stuffed his hands in his pants pockets and stood there awkwardly as everyone whispered about him.

"Peter? You can't be here!" His teacher said. "You didn't get your permission slip signed in time so you just decided to come here anyways? I'm sorry but that's not how we do things here."

"Wait, but-" Peter exclaimed. "It's not what you think!"

"Did you or did you not fail to get your permission slip signed in time?" The teacher asked.

"Well, I didn't get it signed, but-"

"And did you or did you not come here regardless?" The teacher interrupted.

"I, um, I did come here anyways," Peter said.

"Wait, I think you've got it all wrong," Shelley said, obviously confused. "Peter works here. He stayed home because he didn't feel well, but decided to help us out in the labs when he was feeling better." 

"If he stayed home sick, then why would he be here?" Peter's teacher said.

"Didn't Peter tell you? He lives here!" Shelley said, with a laugh.

It was then that Peter Parker realized that he was royally screwed.