viii

(that slow mo killed me fast

(that slow mo killed me fast...)^^

he stood there. his black hair styled perfectly showing a bit of his forehead. wearing a black turtle neck, with a black coat, black pants and complenting black blüchers, an expensive dior watch on his wrist, he smiled at me.

he was almost the same taehyung i knew in school. one monolid and one double lid, his infamous charm, his golden kissed skin, everything was same.

except that he was manlier. his voice deeper. his jawline sharper than ever. his eyes dark brown orbs hinted mischief, but his face remained solemn what so ever.

did any girl manage to catch his attention?

heck what are you thinking girl. snap out of it. you're over him.

i couldn't help but stare. all my feelings rushed back to me like the waves in the sea during a storm. my throat went dry.

"bae?" jeongguk whispered as he nudged me trying to cover up my embarrassing behavior.

"i-i am sorry." i mumbled. "hi taehyung. nice to see you again. hope you had a comfortable trip."

his infamous boxy grin took over his face. he lowered down to my level. "just a 'nice to meet you', bae y/n?"

i could feel the blood rush to my face. never in my introverted life i felt so nervous.

"happy birthday?" i tried sounding confident. "happy birthday taehyung and welcome back."

i gave him my genuine smile.

"you're still so cute bae." he smiled as he cupped my face, his fingers covered my chubby cheeks. at this moment i felt the ground slipping beneath me. "you didn't change this much."

"wh-what do you mean?!" i looked everywhere but at him. i had no courage to look even somewhere near his face. leave alone his eyes.

he shook his head. mumbling something i couldn't decipher.

my hear still thumped over 72bpm.

high blood pressure. it's cold. it's okay.

i tried to console myself. he is just a neighbor and a friend.

my father lead us all towards the table where the cake was kept, packed inside a box. taehyung's lips curved into a warm smile as he saw joohyun.

"noona." he whispered as he took her into her arms. joohyun yelped as he picked her off the ground giving her a little twirl.

"you look so pretty." he gently placed her down and giving a small peck on her cheek.

"tae, it's so good to see you back." she smiled, patting his back fervently. she broke the seemingly long hug and eyed him up to down. "look at yourself, grown man aren't we?" she gave him a teasing smile.

i smiled. well i tried to, despite the tug at my chest.

all due to cold.

the small reunion continued. taehyung and his parents met jisoo, hoseok, namjoon and all others, laughter and chatter filling up the backyard.

meeting person to person, taehyung stopped right in front of jeongguk.

jeongguk gave him a tight smile, extending his hand as a friendly gesture.

"jeon jeongguk hyung. bae's best friend." jeongguk emphasized on the best friend.

taehyung took his hand and nodded in acknowledgement. "kim taehyung, her childhood friend."

my eyes widened. since when were we friends?!

okay fine, we were good friends. pretty close. but did it sustain? after all these years.

we might've lived together, side by side, were best of friends. but after what happened, was it real?

six years back, i tried to hide my little crush on him, and i did it pretty well. considering the fact that taehyung was smitten by my sister, and didn't know a thing about my crush on him.

now that i reflect back, i'm glad, i didn't tell him.

i mean, who would choose me over joohyun?

"bae?"

i snapped out of my thoughts as jeongguk entwined his fingers with mine.

i looked at him. his eyes scanned my face. probably reading all my thoughts.

"are you fine?"

i nodded. it was all in the past. i tried to reason my self out. if taehyung and joohyun start seeing each other, i would support them no matter what.

"you're not." jeongguk spoke again. "don't even try to lie to me. i know you too well for that bae." his voice came out soft as he lifted his hand and brushed off the snow on my hair.

blood rushed to my cheeks.

"anyways, i won't probe any further or you'll turn into a tomato." he tucked a strand of my hair behind my ear.

i laughed. for the first time in the day. and that too genuinely.

"what would i do without you jeon." i lightly punched his shoulder.

"i-

"jin hyung is here." taehyung spoke in between, and i realized that i completely forgot about him.

i looked at him and he stared back at me. his eyes showing emotions i couldn't understand. but he definitely wasn't happy.

"come on bae." he took my other hand. "it's my birthday and i'm back after six years. won't you spend some time with me?"

he tilted his head, giving me a questioning look.

stop confusing me taehyung.

my heart thumped so loud, i was sure that both boys, who were holding my hand could hear it.

unknowingly i squeezed jeongguk's hand.

"sure-" jeongguk freed my hand from taehyung's grip. "hyung, let's go."

jeongguk smiled. not his usual bunny smile, expressing his happiness.

and taehyung glared at him.

******
the real fun begins now. i am so excited for this story. but due to time restrictions, i am barely able to write and publish.

but as always, i am extremely thankful to all those giving this book a chance. i won't ever stop saying thank you to all my dear readers.

make sure to keep yourself hydrated. have a self care routine because you deserve it.💜

love~
bhoomi

30th June 2020