lii

the static beep made it's way to your ears, like white noise

you felt as if your body was restrained.

in the past few months, you had fainted so many times, that the feeling wasn't new.

but the paint was surmountable. unbearable.

a tightness around your forehead, you tried to lift up your numb arm and felt shuffling, a certain heaviness to your hand, and feeling strange, you steadily opened your eyes and saw the various tubes attached to the back of the hand.

and then running your eyes around your surroundings, you noticed the monotonous curtain colors, machines and wires running around your ward, the faint glow entering through the light colored curtains.

hospital. bed ridden.

two words that rang your head. you tried to get up, but again a certain tug in your torso stopped you, pain shooting up like electric sparks that pushed you down, as if by an invisible force.

"noona?"

you flipped your head to the familiar voice. a certain ecstasy filling you up. smiling you replied.

"jeongshin?"

the boy nodded. he seemed much more happier than you last saw him, and aura was much more lighter.

"you were in trauma surgery for four hours noona." he pressed his lips in a thin line, his hand travelling to hold yours, but then realization struck him. he couldn't touch you.

"trauma surgery?" brows furrowed, you searched for answers. just faint memories of unknown pain hurting your head repeatedly. but what caught your attention, was the little boy's fading aura.

so you ignored your curiosity.

"jeongshin- are you alright?"

he nodded immediately. but you didn't skip the lone tear that slipped down his cheek.

"you know after my sister died, my father began abusing my mother. and me too."

the gasp that left your mouth, was more of a whisper-scream. but choi jeongshin just shrugged.

why did such little kids have to go through such atrocities? son taeyong, his sister and now him.

"my father was never affected by my sister's death. in fact he was happier."

"what father would be happy with his child's death?"

jeongshin shrugged again. the pain in your limbs was pushed to your unconscious. only the boy mattering at the moment.

"i asked mom, but she never told. and then one night, when mom went out to buy groceries, he came back and hit me, so badly-" you gulped down your tears as you saw the little boy shudder in fear. just how brutally was he abused that he could feel the impact even after passing away?