xv

i was still flustered with that compliment

i was feeling things i shouldn't. and i was scared.

after what he said, his eyes widened. as if he said something wrong.

not wanting to make things further awkward, i took out some plates and decided to plate the food we had got.

to my saviour, jeongguk entered the kitchen, giving me a tight hug. he offered to help me with the snacks and i gladly accepted. my heart still beating at an unreasonable rate.

he told me how his day went and how the photography head asked him to be the editor and the event photographer for the film festival.

jeongguk's eyes sparkled as he talked about it. his excitement not being contained. i looked at him admiringly. if there was anything jeongguk was passionate about besides helping people, it was editing and photography. though his literary achievements overshadowed his other talents.

if i had feelings for jeongguk in that way. i would never let him go. but sadly i didn't feel anything like that.

"sorry i went overboard." he rubbed the back of his neck sheepishly. "i am very excited for spring."

"i am happy for you too jeon." i smile. "you'll do great at the event."

"you think so? i am nervous. hell, the event isn't close, yet i am pissing my pants."

"chill jeon, you'll do well." i reassured him. "there is a reason why the mingyu asked you to mange the whole event. he always had an eye for talent."

a faint blush crept up jeongguk's cheeks and i teased him more.

as taehyung placed the cups of warm drinks on the tray, he came over to us.

"if you both are done, can we go?" his voice laced with irritation.

my brows furrowed.

did we do something?

without listening to us, he went out of the kitchen.

"what's his problem?" jeongguk muttered, clearly annoyed by taehyung's behavior.

i shrugged.

i could never understand that boy.

-•-

as the evening went on, my father put on a movie as we all sat down to enjoy our snacks.

as usual, jeongguk sat beside me, clutching onto my arm and eating his croissant, sipping his coffee side by side.

what wasn't usual was taehyung on my other side. out of all the places he came over to me and sat beside me.

jeongguk tsked in annoyance but kept quiet as he saw my glare. the last thing i wanted was a fight in the new year.

my parents, mr.kim and his wife and hoseok's parents joked around, reminiscing old times. jisoo, hoseok, jeongguk, and joohyun were too engrossed in eating and watching the movie that they failed to notice my uneasiness.

taehyung was unusually close. his thigh touching mine whenever he moved, and he occasionally looked at me, just to give me a smile in return.

as soon as the countdown got over, my father shouted a 'happy new year' before erupting into a happy dance and dragging mr.kim along with him.

"cheers to us kim! it's a new beginning with you by our side." my father smiled before picking up taehyung's father in his arms giving him a slight twirl.

i burst into a laughter as i saw my father's extreme happiness. joohyun and jisoo cheered upon my father.

at last, they bid their goodbyes and went into their rooms. winter vacations were almost over, and they had to do a lot of planning to do.

the movie still went on. taehyung's parents and my parents went out in the living room
hoseok's parents suggested that they should call it a night as they had to start early the next morning for seoul to meet their daughter. so hoseok went to sleep and my parents suggested that jeongguk, taehyung and i could enjoy each other's company.

i gulped. as soon as we three were in the room, the tension went up the sky.

jeongguk and taehyung didn't spare a glance to each other. both of them just kept watching the movie. expressionless.

it wasn't until late that jeongguk's eyes began to droop and suddenly his head dropped onto my shoulder. he snuggled onto my side, soft snores audible and his mouth slightly open.

such a cutie.

i carefully took off his glasses, making sure not to wake him up and kept it on the table.

"do you like him?" i jumped from my seat as taehyung spoke up. i almost forgot he was still there.

"what?" i asked dumbly.

"do you like jeongguk?" taehyung tore off his gaze from the tv and looked at me.

i shook my head. "like a best friend only. and he too shares the same feeling."

why was i even justifying?

taehyung kept looking at me as he nodded.

"do i make you nervous?" he suddenly asked.

my eyes widened.

yes.

"no-no. why would i-

my words halted as he shifted closer. his hand taking mine in his. his face inches away from mine.

i gulped. my throat went dry and my mind clouded.

"then why do you avoid me y/n?" his voice was deeper than ever. "it hurts." he pointed to his chest, where his heart was.

if it was anatomically possible, my heart would have dropped to my stomach.

his eyes bore into mine. as if trying to read my fuzzed up mind.

"i-i don't taehyung." my voice was barely above a whisper as i averted my gaze. i could look anywhere except him.

"see? you're not even looking at me." he was too close. i could practically feel his soft breaths on my face.

"you're so close taehyung." i said hoping that he wouldn't hear my erratic heart beat.

i waited. for him to back off. but he didn't. he stayed there. and i could feel him staring at me.

push him away. get back to your senses bae y/n.

just as i was about to push him away, he grabbed my hand and put it over his chest. right where his heart was.

my breath hitched and i forgot how to breath.

i could feel his toned chest through the jumper.

"you feel that?" he whispered cutting through the silence.

and then i realized. it wasn't just me with my heart beating crazily.

his heartbeat was as fast as mine. and i could feel it against my palm.

*****

double update! ♡
(unedited)